Tilney Smith & Williamson’s personal wealth management services include financial planning, investment management and advice, online execution-only investing and personal tax advice. For businesses, its range of services include assurance and accounting, business tax advice, employee benefits, forensic advice, fund administration, recovery and restructuring, as well as corporate finance and transaction services.
Our Southampton office specialises in providing tax and audit services to businesses, as well as corporate finance and restructuring & recovery. We also provide services to professional practices, business owners and private clients, including personal tax, trust and financial planning advice. Our teams are Partner led and coordinated across disciplines allowing us to provide clients with a professional service and all-round advice.
Assurance & Business Services
We provide a range of services including external audit, finance due diligence, valuations, and payroll services to a diverse client base ranging from small businesses and startups to substantial international groups. Our client portfolio includes businesses from a variety of different industry sectors, across both private and AIM listed companies.
Purpose of role:
The primary responsibility of the Audit Manager will be to deal with all matters relating to the management of a portfolio of audit clients. You will also provide assistance to Partners in both client work and in the management of the group, and on occasions the wider firm. Where appropriate, you may become involved in special assignments on an ad hoc basis.
Reports to: Senior Manager
- Ensure that clients receive an efficient and proactive service and client expectations are exceeded throughout the year. Liaison with client Partners and other S&W staff where appropriate to ensure all are kept up to date with relevant issues.
- Audit work and setting budgets - awareness of commercial aspects of clients business and impact on our work. Arrangement of timetable, booking of staff, planning review and completion of audit and other related assignments.
- Be aware of developments in compliance and how this impacts on our clients.
- Client billing.
- Organise staff on jobs, ensuring each individual is clear on expectations and timescales, is properly trained and receives constructive feedback. Ensure any shortages or excess workloads are identified and minimised.
- To ensure assessment forms are completed and feedback given to all staff on all jobs.
- Liaison with junior staff to assess any issues that need dealing with.
- Ensure appropriate in house and external training received personally.
- Prepare proposals for new work.
- Attend relevant marketing events.
- Present at seminars if required.
- Attend relevant client segment focus group meetings.
- Develop personal contacts.
- Identify and develop opportunities for S&W with current clients.
- Planning and organising - to ensure all client work is carried out within the appropriate timescales through continual monitoring of progression of the work.
- Technical expertise - to ensure audit conducted to correct standard and accounts preparation is accurate and meaningful for the type of industry. To be able to answer staff and client technical queries and make technical decisions.
- Commercial awareness - to have a good understanding of the commercial factors affecting the client and to be able to monitor the commercial effectiveness of work done by S&W by reviewing costs against budget.
- Teamwork - working as a team with the other managers, Partners and staff to ensure the department as a whole meets its objectives and all client demands are exceeded etc and dealing with differences.
- Problem solving - technical knowledge to resolve client issues and organisation to be flexible to meet client and director demands.
- Customer focus - ensuring clients expectations are exceeded, by providing a first class service at all times.
- Business Development – ability to develop trusted advisor status with clients
- Qualified accountant (ACA, CA, ACCA).
- Significant external audit experience gained within a professional services environment.
- Experience of working with entrepreneurial, OMB, SME and AIM listed clients.
- Experience of (and appetite for) business development activities such as targeting, preparation of proposal documents, proposal presentations and attendance of networking events
- Demonstrable working knowledge of accounting and auditing standards, industry specifics and their application.
- Good working knowledge of skill requirements of staff at various levels to ensure work undertaken by appropriate individual.
- Strong communication skills in order to liaise with clients, Partners, staff and other professionals.
- Previous experience of management and motivation of staff to ensure best performance.
- Organisation to ensure needs of clients, partners and staff are all met.
- Monitoring costs against budget for individual clients.