AJ Chambers are delighted to be exclusively working with a highly successful group of companies based in Essex who are currently looking for a commercial Financial Controller to assist with the phased retirement of the existing Finance Director over 2 years. It is therefore the expectation that the successful candidate would step into a higher-level Finance Director role in a short space of time and become the pivotal person in the running of the organisation over the years to come.
Leading and motivating the team as well as being the link between the finance function and the board of directors. Eventually, the candidate will be key to assisting with the decision making and growth of the group.
The skills requirement, as outlined below, are important in ensuring accurate and timely management information however, the shareholders are also looking for someone that demonstrates strong soft skills, emotional intelligence, and commerciality.
- Given the size of the group and the range of trading activities, the candidate would be expected to have prior experience in a Financial Controller role and ideally experience with group accounting or dealing with a group of companies.
- ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent is preferable.
- As mentioned above, on top of strong financial ability, the candidate will need to demonstrate strong soft skills.
- The successful candidate will need to be a dynamic and flexible person who can deal with the day-to-day ad-hoc requirements on top of the finance function and be willing to support the shareholders in all various aspects.
- Ability to demonstrate commerciality and adaptability.
- The candidate must have an analytical ability to both understand where there may be errors and to translate what the figures mean to the directors.
- Experience of working in different settings and well versed in understanding how the business works and translating this into the control and output of quality financial information.
- Ideally, the candidate would have experience using Sage.
- The Financial Controller will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day processing and would be supported by the team that is responsible for this.
- Producing timely monthly management accounts on both an individual and group company basis (4 companies).
- Formally report to the board quarterly and be required to have a good understanding of the figures. The expectation would be to then present them to the board in a way that they can understand and interpret them to allow focused and commercial decision making that benefits the group.
- Reflect on the management information produced and the current KPI’s in use to measure performance and see if this can be enhanced to benefit the group.
- Daily cash management.
- Preparation of budgets and forecasts for individual companies and group.
- Have an absolute handle and understanding of any variances from budget/expectations so that they can be explained to the board and rectified where necessary and possible.
- Although knowledge of FRS102 and current accounting requirements would be a bonus, it is not essential as the accounts and disclosures are prepared by external auditors.
- Produce annual figures and audit pack to be passed to the auditors.
- Oversee the 1-week interim audit and 2-week final audit to provide information to the auditors, as necessary.
- Required to deal with VAT returns and have knowledge of partial exemption.
- Payroll is processed by one of the team members, but this would be overseen by the Finance Controller who will ensure that standards and regulations are being adhered to. There would also be a requirement to review the payroll process and ensure this is efficient.
- Review current systems and make suggestions/changes where necessary to improve.
- Focus balance between the smooth function of financial systems as well as being commercially minded so that you can interact and support the senior leadership team.
- Work with and oversee the finance team which currently consists of 4 people.
- The team would report to the Financial Controller who would in turn report to the Finance Director for the first 6-12 months to allow them to fully understand the business and the ad-hoc requirements of the group and the board.
- Line manager responsibilities would include appraising these team members, annual pay reviews and disciplinary. Eventually, the Financial Controller would also be responsible for managing resources and recruiting.
- Lead and motivate the team, ensuring the team are organised, understand what is required of them, answer their queries, support, and offer guidance, as necessary.
- Liaise with the third-party HR consultants where necessary to ensure due process is followed in any areas of employee dispute where necessary.