Team Inspector (IT)
The Financial Reporting Council (FRC)’s mission is to serve the public interest by setting high standards of corporate governance, reporting and audit and holding to account those responsible for delivering them. We are] [is] the UK Competent Authority for audit. We also set the UK Corporate Governance and Stewardship Codes as well as UK standards for accounting, auditing and actuarial work, and monitor and take action to promote the quality of corporate reporting and operate independent enforcement arrangements for accountants and actuaries. Further information about our role can be found at www.frc.org.uk.
AQR monitors the quality of listed and major public interest audits undertaken by the major UK audit firms and is a leading international audit regulator, playing a significant role internationally in the promotion and development of audit regulation.
As a member of the AQR team, successful candidates will participate in reviews of the Big 4 and other large audit firms dealing with senior partners and staff at those firms. AQR work covers both inspections of individual audits and reviews of firm-wide arrangements to support audit quality and meet ethical requirements. AQR also periodically undertakes thematic inspections which focus on particular aspects of audit across a sample of audits and firms.
The role provides a unique insight into how the major firms operate and how they are responding to current issues in the profession and changes in regulatory requirements. Successful candidates will also have the satisfaction of being able to influence the practices and procedures of the major audit firms to enhance quality. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Leading / participating in regular meetings and ongoing discussions with audit team members, including senior partners for major audits and other projects.
- Making an assessment of the IT audit work carried out on major audits, including the appropriateness of judgements made on key audit and accounting issues
- Communicating findings on the individual audits reviewed to the relevant audit firms. There are also opportunities to contribute to the individual firm and thematic inspection reports which summarise the results of AQR’s inspection activities.
- Undertaking IT-related firm-wide procedures and thematic inspections. These include an assessment of the firms’ processes and audit methodologies in relation to IT, and the impact these have on audit quality.
- Building constructive and professional relationships with senior management and engagement teams at the audit firms.
An accounting qualification coupled with membership of ICAEW, ACCA, ICAS or ICAI (or equivalent) is preferred, although CISA qualified candidates with significant financial statement audit experience will be considered. Experience at Audit Senior Manager or above in public practice is also essential with experience working in a major UK audit firm preferred. The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience in carrying out IT Audit work in complex environments, experience in development and use of IT data analytic tools preferred
- A good knowledge of IFRS and recent experience of auditing of UK listed companies/ other major entities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the confidence and ability to engage with and, where appropriate, challenge senior partners
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability and confidence to work autonomously
Rewards and benefits
- The FRC offers competitive remuneration packages, including 30 days annual leave plus ability to buy extra leave.
- Generous employer pension contribution of 10%.
- Staff Employee Assistance Programme including confidential counselling and work life services.
- Values in Practice Scheme, rewarding performance against our values and behaviours.
- The FRC offers staff the opportunity to save at least 25% on the purchase of a new bike through the Cycle to work scheme.
- The FRC has a strong work/life balance ethos.
The role is based in our Central London Office. The post holder should be able to work flexibly to support the team’s activities and also provide cover within the FRC as necessary.
The FRC believes that equality of opportunity and diversity is important in the work that we do and we are strongly committed to being an inclusive employer. Our values of being fair and independent supports this commitment. We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme, which means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role.
Equal opportunities monitoring is an important means of demonstrating and implementing our commitment to promoting equality of opportunity and diversity. Completing our diversity form will assist the FRC to identify any barriers that prevent access to employment and career development for certain groups of people, and to develop solutions, such as action plans, new policies and practices. The form is completed on a voluntary basis and we strongly encourage all job applicants to complete it.
Complete the Diversity Form here
Please apply by emailing a copy of your CV and covering letter to the FRC Recruitment team at [email protected]. In the covering letter, please set out, by reference to the person specification above, how you meet the required skillset
- confirm that you have the right to work in the UK
- tell us where you heard about this job
Please note that we can only accept applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
Apply for Team Inspector (IT)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly