Head of Cost Assurance & Analysis Services (CAAS)
Ministry of Defence
Location: Abbey Wood, Bristol
Salary: £70,000. More may be available for an exceptional candidate
Closing date: 16th August 2020
About the job
The Head of CAAS role, which will sit in the newly formed Directorate of Assurance, will lead the organisation through this change whilst continuing to deliver its major programmes of work. There are three key lines of work:
- The provision of Independent Assurance covering Independent Cost Estimating (to support the Planning Round); Efficiencies, Benefits and Analysis; Approvals and Industry Cost Assurance (in support of single source pricing)
- Cost management leadership - Building in-house capacity and capability in Delivery agencies and Front Line Commands, and
- Capability – Establishing centres of expertise around technical specialisms currently cost accounting, cost engineering and cost estimating.
With a reporting line to the Director of Assurance, Head of CAAS is ultimately responsible for leading the provision of independent advice to a range of senior and executive stakeholders that enables the Ministry of Defence to make effective equipment and support decisions that secure value for money now and in the future. In addition, the role is responsible for improving capacity and capability of cost management across MOD.
The following responsibilities, whilst not an exhaustive list, are required for successful execution of the role: Head up the Ministry of Defence’s independent Cost Assurance and Analysis Service providing effective corporate and strategic management for 300 staff.
- Build both capacity and capability of the team to sustain CAAS as leaders in cost management for the MOD
- Define and drive best practice and innovation in cost management to improve quality, standards and consistency across Defence.
- Maintain strategic relationships with the Front-Line Commands and Delivery Agencies to ensure collaborative engagement to help them build cost management capability.
- Inform strategic cost risk across MOD.
- Oversee the delivery of cost estimation services and maintain an independent view of the costs on major Equipment Plan projects to inform Departmental budgeting, approvals processes and support the National Audit Office’s annual review of the Defence Equipment Programme
- Oversee the provision of investment decision briefs for Front Line Commands and the Business Case Review Committee
- Accountable for the quality of services provided to customers, responsible for the development of products and skilled staff
CAAS is moving from the Defence Equipment and Support organisation into MOD Head Office where it will have a key role as a leader of cost management across Defence. This will involve setting standards for the rest of MOD and working to embed cost management skillsets across Front Line Commands and Delivery agencies. Change Management experience is therefore a key component of this role.
A successful Head of Cost Assurance and Analysis Services will demonstrate the following criteria:
- Experience of providing cost management and/or advisory services to support high value projects or programmes (£400m+)
- Experience of leading change and transformation programmes across a wide geographical base
- Ability to get to grips with the detail quickly and analyse complex financial information
- Effective operation in a senior leadership role within a large and complex organisation
- Ability to engage with and develop the trust and confidence of a range of demanding stakeholders
- Ability to provide creative and innovative solutions to complex problems and provide guidance at a strategic level
- A resilient leader who can work under sustained pressure and scrutiny, maintaining a positive approach in times of professional adversity and ambiguity
- Ability to motivate and empower high performing teams, acting as an inspirational role model who engages, develops and nurtures staff at all levels to build a confident, delivery focused department
- Clear commitment to the civil service values of impartiality, honesty, integrity and objectivity
- Demonstrable experience building a strong network of collaborative relationships and managing the needs of a cross section of stakeholders
- Demonstrate authentic and inclusive leadership embracing challenge and diversity of thought to achieve best outcome
- A CCAB qualified accountant or similar qualification desirable
For further information about specific responsibilities and to apply for the role please click here.