Head of Fraud Defence
Ministry of Defence Location: MoD Main Building, London
Salary: £70,000. More may be available for an exceptional candidate
Closing date: 16th August 2020
About the job
The post holder will take the strategic lead across Defence on all counter fraud and corruption activities including developing and maintaining understanding of the fraud threat landscape, conducting fraud risk assessments and co-ordinating and driving counter fraud activities. The post involves taking the lead in the promotion of a comprehensive and integrated counter fraud strategy across Defence, including activities to prevent, detect and investigate fraud and irregularity and promote a counter fraud culture.
The post holder will be expected to:
- Provide leadership, direction and advice as the MOD Counter Fraud Function lead and Head of Profession on all aspects of fraud risk management, with the aim of mitigating actual and potential fraud losses;
- Conceptualise, articulate and deliver a compelling vision and a road map of best in class fraud risk management;
- Set out and deliver a programme of strategic development and maturity in counter fraud capability.
- Maintain oversight of all aspects of counter fraud management activity (including activities of MOD Police, Service Police and Fraud Focal Points) to ensure overall effort (investigations, intelligence, analysis, prevention and deterrence, awareness and asset recovery) is directed and maximised to best effect in delivering the strategic intent of minimising the risk of fraud;
- Act as the MOD counter fraud subject matter expert, working with function, risk, policy, process and programme owners to support their consideration of fraud risk and the development of preventative and detective controls, as appropriate;
- Develop and implement continued improvement of the MOD counter fraud data analytics capability with a goal to mainstream transactional analysis within business areas as part of their BAU whilst developing new capabilities;
- Work with cross-Government colleagues to support the continuous development and improvement of the Government Counter Fraud Profession and Functional Standards, bringing Defence insight and perspective to counter fraud and corruption risk;
- Increase the effectiveness of fraud and corruption reporting through the Defence Confidential Hotline, with particular focus on the management of duty of care towards whistleblowers and the development metrics to evidence impact;
- Embed a Defence Counter-Fraud & Corruption Strategy, within a supportive policy environment that is relevant and responsive to the evolving picture of fraud and corruption;
- Develop a communications strategy for the promotion of counter fraud awareness and best practice including development and implementation of MOD-specific fraud awareness training;
- Act as Secretary to the Defence Fraud Board. Provide support to, and obtain direction from, the Defence Fraud Board, implementing agreed priorities throughout Defence;
- Engage and coordinate the work of Defence with counter fraud agencies across UK government, international partners, Defence Industry and civil society as appropriate, to build and develop joined up counter fraud agendas, proactively take preventative and deterrence action and share experience and good practice; and
- Keep abreast of leading edge and evolving technologies, solutions and best practice for counter fraud and corruption and actively explore opportunities to test for purpose and fit for MOD.
This role is a challenging and rewarding one, requiring substantial subject matter knowledge and leadership experience in relevant counter fraud, corruption, ethics and integrity roles.
It is highly desirable that you have significant experience and skills (to a post graduate level or equivalent) in a relevant professional discipline such as accountancy or law.
As a counter fraud leader, you will be able to evidence:
- Experience of leading and directing a counter fraud function in a large, complex organisation, providing inspiring leadership to multi-disciplinary teams, while harnessing the talents of individuals to develop a creative and innovative working environment;
- A track record of fraud risk management including risk identification, control, monitoring, analysis and intervention and investigations;
- Experience in procurement related counter fraud and corruption;
- The ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with senior internal and external stakeholders, relationships that are built on providing challenge alongside support;
- Role modelling and championing the highest standards of ethics and integrity;
- Experience of engaging with senior boards, such as Risk & Audit Committees, Executive Committees and organisational Boards, to keep them abreast of progress and to support their focus on counter fraud and corruption issues; and
- That you are an inclusive leader, embracing challenge and diversity of thought necessary to achieve the best outcomes for Defence.
For further information about specific responsibilities and to apply for the role please click here.