Devon County Council - Principle Accountant
Scomis is an award-winning ICT support service, operating as part of Devon County Council and trading nationwide. We have a new and exciting opportunity to join our team as a Principal Accountant (Commercial). We support over 735 schools, MATs, Federations and educational establishments across 27 Local Authorities from Cornwall to Redcar and Cleveland, along with providing internal ICT delivery to Devon County Council.
Our aim is to ensure that customers achieve effective and efficient use of ICT that delivers best value and ultimately, improved outcomes including school improvement; keeping vulnerable children safe; promoting health and wellbeing; delivering social care and a range of other local community services.
• Part of a large, well established team with balanced out of hours requirements
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Flexible Working Hours (Monday to Friday)
• Local Government Pension Scheme
• Development Opportunities
• Perks at Work and Discounts Scheme
• 20 Days Annual Leave rising incrementally to 28 (plus 3 statutory days over the Christmas Period, and Bank Holidays)
About the role
Working within our Business Management and Service Performance team, the Principal Accountant (Commercial) will play a key role in ensuring that Scomis continues to flourish and grow within the local area and more widely across the UK by taking responsibility for financial management, accounting and reporting.
Reporting to the Scomis Business Manager, the Principal Accountant (Commercial) is a new role for Scomis and will be responsible for leading, managing and providing an effective and independent professional financial support service with the following key objectives:
- Introduce and develop commercial accounting practices and appropriate management information which will enable services to function in a more business-like manner;
- Ensure fiscal probity for DCC within statutory and local authority standards whilst providing accounting expertise in line with Scomis commercial objectives.
The role is pivotal in ensuring systems and operations are in place for accurate financial reporting, forecasting, budget planning, and modelling.
A team player, you will be a professionally qualified accountant (CCAB), or have equivalent experience, with a proven track record in commercial management accounting, and the necessary technical and personal skills to build and maintain effective relationships. You will have a sound understanding of accounting principles, and the ability to organise and prioritise often conflicting workloads to achieve deadlines and other key outputs accurately and on time. You will be able to demonstrate excellent IT skills which will be fundamental to support and develop the financial systems and processes within the service, along with a good knowledge of SharePoint and Office 365.
For an informal discussion please contact Debbie Foweraker (Head of Scomis Group) or Helen Jarvis (Scomis Group Business Manager). To apply for the role, please click the 'Apply' button which will redirect you to our website; then search using reference SCO/19/05397.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
For more information about Working for Devon please visit the Working for Devon webpages.
Closing date: 19/08/19.
Interview date: 2/09/19 or 3/09/19.