Would you like to be a part of The London Borough of Hounslow, whose diverse workforce are committed to making a positive difference for our residents and visitors by ensuring the quality of our services are maintained to a high standard?
The Council is embarking upon a major programme of change to modernise the way we work and reduce our carbon footprint. We moved to a brand new landmark building in April 2019 located in Hounslow town centre, and our new technology enables staff to work remotely and flexibly to improve the service we provide to residents and to help our staff achieve a better work/life balance.
We are looking to recruit a full time Management Accountant as a result of a vacancy being created by the retirement of a current post holder.
The role will be based initially within the Finance team responsible for supporting the Council’s Education and Early Intervention service. The team plays a major role in supporting effective management of the Council’s finances in relation to Schools and Early Intervention Services.
The main activities of the team comprise of the following: -
- Helping to deliver the Council's Medium Term Financial Strategy
- Assisting in the preparation of reports to Senior Management and Schools
- Ensuring grant funding received from the Government is distributed to schools in a timely and accurate manner, in line with latest government guidance
- Liaising with Headteachers and schools finance officers on finance matters throughout the year and resolving finance queries
- Assisting Council budget holders in budget setting, monitoring and closing of their accounts
- Providing support and training to budget holders in relation to the Councils Finance systems
- Proactively involvement in change and transformation projects
- Submission of government and other returns
We are looking for a well organised, dynamic and self-motivated accountant. Previous experience of Local Government and Schools related finance work is desirable however is not required as support and training will be provided.
- Assisting in the budget setting process; production of Business Plans, Medium Term Financial Plan and budget.
- Co ordination of the setting of individual schools budgets through application of funding formulae set by government.
- Assist in the closure of accounts for schools and early intervention services.
- Arranging and reconciliation of payments made to schools across the financial year. To assist in budget monitoring and reporting processes. To manage the preparation and completion of statutory and non-statutory returns, Freedom of Information requests, grant claims and other returns in line with agreed guidelines and timelines. To provide a professional and customer focused finance service to a range of customers in providing financial information, analysis, advice, guidance and training, including taxation advice and matters. To assist in finance system and ledger management activities and ensure the accurate recording of transactions.
- Able to work independently and flexibly in a changing and evolving environment responding quickly to conflicting workloads and changing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively and establish positive relationships with colleagues and schools in a way that creates, confidence, credibility and trust and, be able to demonstrate ability to listen and tactfully understand other people/service problems and /or issues.
- Ability to question and challenge existing practices, review and evaluate internal and external factors to create and develop new and workable ideas to enhance the customer experience and overcome problems and/or improve performance not limited by defined policy. Ability to think laterally and creatively to generate realistic and workable solutions.
- Ability to identify and / or interpret any changes in statute, legislation, regulations, local and national policy initiatives, industry development and evaluate the impact and effect on the service department and / or finance.
Essential for the Role
- Experience of working in a finance team.
- You will be a part qualified accountant as a minimum.
- A Standard DBS check will be requires
If you would like an informal conversation regarding the position, please contact Christine Holland on 0208 583 2380 or Sheilender Pathak on 0208 583 2427.
Closing date for applications is Friday 30 August 2019.
Shortlisting will take place on Monday 2 September 2019.
Interviews will be held during week commencing: 9 September 2019.
Please click the 'apply' button for more information and to apply. Search for ‘Management Accountants’ under keywords.
More searches like this
- Accountant Public sector / NGO Fully qualified jobs in London (West)
- Financial Director Public sector / NGO Fully qualified jobs in London (West)
- Management Accountant Public sector / NGO Fully qualified jobs in London (West)
- Forensic Accountant Public sector / NGO Fully qualified jobs in London (West)