Tax Accountant, In-House Asset Manager
Tax Accountant, In-House Asset Manager
£55000-65000 + benefits, bonuses and flexible working
About this business
This is an active and globally spread investment management firm, runs a major client capital in liquid and private markets, managed by investment specialists based around the world. Comprised of a number of specialist investment teams, these work collaboratively within the resources of the greater framework, each with the highest degree of investment autonomy.
The Global Head of Tax has offered us first-hand insight to the leadership culture. Here, real ownership is of importance to the team - each employee holds both autonomy and responsibility for the entire end-to-end processes within their remit. Flexible working is offered on this basis of ownership and accountability, though time spent working remotely would be unlikely to exceed 1-2 days per week.
Given the dynamic and rapidly evolving nature of tax here, the breadth of work and scope of advisory support will be fascinating and based a fast-paced and even frenetic setting. In the words of senior management, this pace has historically proven a little surprising for new joiners in the team, and they understand the importance of support and guidance in enabling inbound employees to settle.
The Global Head of Tax describes a direct yet collegiate orientation as fitting in this very diverse team. With regards to development/progression, employees are largely free to progress as fast as they can keep up. Here, senior management has offered examples of the employees who have voiced developmental aspirations (i.e. broadening tax remit/linear progression) and have supported employees in meeting these goals.
The Tax Department, based centrally in London, manages and advises the business units globally in relation to product development, investment issues, tax risk and compliance oversight and AEOI throughout a product's lifecycle. The business has investment products with global investment strategies including Equities, Fixed Income, Derivatives and Real Estate, with funds based across multiple jurisdictions.
The Role: Tax Accountant, In-House Asset Manager
Working with the corporate group, this role will centre on the oversight of the group reporting and compliance. There is also a considerable degree of advisory on this role but will to some extent depend on the strengths brought by the successful candidate. Given the dynamic environment and highly fluid options of internal mobility/role diversification, there are great opportunities here for involvement in new areas of taxation.
Compliance and reporting
- Management of outsourced compliance processes (both UK and overseas) - including liaison with the finance team and other group wide stakeholders
- Review of UK and International tax computations and returns. Opportunity to own and manage processes across the business
- Undertake group reporting
- Providing tax guidelines, support and advice to finance team
- Undertake transfer pricing related reporting and related BEPS initiatives
- Oversight of International VAT/GST returns
- Oversight of outsourced research and development claims
- Support the Senior Accounting Officer certification and other risk management processes
- Technical research and analysis of the impact of legislative changes
- Working with senior tax team members, and advisers, to deliver advice on tax matters to the UK and international business
- Support with management of external relationships, including communication with HMRC and other tax authorities
- Attend quarterly business update calls with regional offices to understand and consider any tax matters
- Support advice for Global mobility and other compensation related tax issues
The successful candidate for the Tax Accountant, In-House Asset Manager opportunity
- A strong tax accounting background, highly proficient with spreadsheets
- Solid project management skills
- CTA/ACA/ACCA/ICAS/CIMA/CPA qualified or equivalent
- Bonus point: prior in-house or secondment experience with a fast-paced financial services organization or asset manager
- The ability to work as a key member of the tax team and foresight and planning to achieve both the Group's corporate, and your own career objectives
- A desire to get involved in new areas of tax and diversify their remit of skills
- A self-starter with the desire and capability to take ownership and responsibility for their work
- A 'sleeves-up' mentality is essential for full ownership of end-to-end processes, alongside the commercial orientation
- A strong communicator who can build strong working relationships with open channels of communication to stakeholders
The Pro-Recruitment Group consists of five distinct brands: Pro-Tax, Pro-Legal, Pro-Finance, Pro-HR and Pro-Marketing.