Head of Audit - Offshore Government
Unique opportunity for a senior audit manager to join the Audit Service of an offshore government and support the Chief Auditor in delivering the statutory audit function.
The island is an internally self-governing Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom located in the South Atlantic. The Government comprises a Governor (who is appointed by the Crown) an Executive Council, which has the general control and direction of Government, and a Legislative Council. The Governor retains responsibility for internal security, external affairs, defence, the public service, finance and shipping.
The island's population is around 4,500 and it has a typical small island economy with a high import dependency, a narrow economic base, a large public sector (around 790 staff), and significant outward labour migration.
The island receives UK Government financial assistance to support recurrent and capital expenditure as part of their obligation to ensure that the reasonable needs of the population are met.
- Under the direction of the Chief Auditor the Head of Audit Services will manage the operations of the Audit Service with prime responsibility for the planning and delivery of financial and performance audits in accordance with international standards across a diverse portfolio of public sector bodies.
- Operational planning, management and performance monitoring of audit resources to ensure that workflow is organised to deliver audits in accordance with statutory deadlines.
- Managing the planning, delivery and quality control of financial audit work across a diverse portfolio in accordance with International Standards on Auditing (ISA) and International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI).
- Developing a performance audit operational plan which prioritises and schedules forward audits which will enable the Chief Auditor to assess arrangements for securing economy efficiency
- Developing a resource plan which provides for the efficient and effective deployment of operational staff resources and managing workflow to meet reporting deadlines and appropriate allocation of audit skills consistent with assessed risk and client service requirements.
- Leading the planning and delivery of financial audit work at engagement level
- Maintaining effective performance management and monitoring of team members including objective setting and performance appraisal and review.
- Providing technical leadership to ensure audit manuals, technical resources, methodologies and operational practices remain current and in accordance with international standards and guidance.
- Leading the implementation and maintenance of the CaseWare audit management system.
- Line management responsibilities of a team of 8.
Qualified Chartered Accountant (ACA/ACCA/CPFA qualified member of a recognised institute UK ie. CCAB or SAICA
Recent experience in external audit conforming to International Standards on Auditing.
Experience in the planning and conduct of performance audit or advisory engagements.
* International Standards on Auditing (ISA)
* International Standards on Review Engagements (ISRE)
* Financial Reporting Standards (IPSAS, IFRS)
* Performance audit standards (ISSAI) or assurance engagement standards (ISAE)
* Ethical Standards (IESBA Code)
- Competitive Salary
- Unique lifestyle: rugged, coastal scenery
- Paid flights back home once per year
- Circa £55,000 + £15,000 - £22,000 living allowance (dependant on circumstances)
- Relocation package
- 6 weeks annual leave per year
- Competitive pension and benefits package
- 3 year fixed term contract
- Head of Audit position as an opportunity for a Manager/Senior Manager Level External Auditor
- No ability to sponsor visas
Closing Date: 22/07/2019
No ability to sponsor visas
Please email or call Rebecca Scuffam at Michael Page for further details.