Product & Operational Tax Manager, In-House (Asset Manager)
About this business
This is an active and globally spread investment management firm, which runs major client capital in liquid and private markets, managed by investment specialists based around the world.
The Tax Department, based centrally in London, manages and advises the business units globally in relation to product development, investment issues, tax risk and compliance oversight and AEOI throughout a product's lifecycle. The business has investment products with global and varied investment stategies, with funds based across multiple jurisdictions.
Real ownership is of importance to the team - each employee holds both autonomy and responsibility for the entire end-to-end processes within their remit. Flexible working is offered on this basis of ownership and accountability, though time spent working remotely would be unlikely to exceed 1-2 days per week.
Given the dynamic and rapidly evolving nature of tax here, the provision of operational and product support will be fascinating, though based in a fast-paced and even frenetic setting. In the words of senior management, this pace has historically proven a little surprising for new joiners in the team, and they understand the importance of support and guidance in enabling inbound employees to settle.
As a team which relies on the exchange of ideas, collaboration and provision of solid product/operational support, the Head of Tax describes a direct yet collegiate orientation as fitting in this very diverse team. With regards to development/progression, employees are largely free to progress as fast as they can keep up.
This is a unique opportunity for a candidate with a background in to develop legal, commercial and communication skills in the context of alternative investments and finance.
The inbound employee will focus and specialize on liquid assets & derivatives, holding responsibility, with the Head of Tax, to oversee the tax affairs of the investment solutions provided globally.
The Head of Tax has approached the search with an open mind, with room for discussion on seniority level. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Providing tax advice on product development across all business units ensuring the advice is appropriate to the investment distribution strategy
- Staying up to date with global legislative and market developments, understanding how these changes impact the business investment products and advising the business how to react appropriately
- AEOI responsibilities, working with the Middle Office teams to ensure that the business and its investment products meet their AEOI obligations
- Overseeing and supporting the compliance obligations for the funds, including ASC 740/IFRIC 23, investor reporting in USA and European countries
- Overseeing the tax risk management framework for all of the business investment products including Real Estate strategies in USA & Europe, including the maintenance of internal policies and framework documents
- Manage and negotiate budget for provision of services by external providers including communication with business unit COOs
- Working with the senior team members within the Tax Department to ensure the business is appropriately resourced and team members' career development is appropriately managed
The successful candidate
Essential criteria your CV will need to demonstrate:
- Relevant experience working with tax issues associated with investment into highly liquid withholding tax and other non-resident tax issues, such as ASC 740/IFRIC 23, for equities and fixed income investments in highly liquid strategies
- Relevant experience developing fund structures for global distribution
- Experience managing the tax risk management framework for a large asset manager
- Experience is likely to be gained in house at a large asset management company or within Big Four practice undertaking investment tax advisory and compliance work.
CV bonus points:
- Experience working with private market debt and real estate strategies.
- An understanding of key US investor issues.
The successful candidate's disposition:
- Ambition, intellect and a collegiate nature
- A 'sleeves-up' mentality is essential for full ownership of end-to-end processes, alongside the commercial orientation
- A strong communicator who can build strong working relationships with open channels of communication to stakeholders
- Simply submit your expression of interest to [email protected] (and attach a CV/LinkedIn profile to frame the discussion)
The Pro-Recruitment Group consists of five distinct brands: Pro-Tax, Pro-Legal, Pro-Finance, Pro-HR and Pro-Marketing.