Senior Accountancy Officer
Job Title: Senior Accountancy Officer (Multiple Positions)
Salary: £32,552 - £37,475 per annum
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Closing Date: 09 Jun 2019
Interviews will be held week commencing 24th June 2019
This Council is transforming and with it, so is its Financial Services. This is an exciting time to join the team. Their Proud Programme is a transformation Programme, which aims to transform the way the council works so that they can provide a better customer experience, increase staff satisfaction and engagement, and improve service efficiency and performance to their customers and communities. The Programme is closely linked with our medium-term financial strategy and the Council's Financial Services are a key driver in achieving their aspirational vision.
The Council's commitment to you is to provide a safe learning environment, where they will offer you the platform to develop and enhance your career prospects, with the aim to support your drive and commitment to progress and build on your existing experience. The diverse services supported, and the progression of their transformation programme, brings with it exposure to many scenarios requiring financial support and advice. You can therefore expect opportunities to get involved and strengthen both your accountancy knowledge and also your broader skillsets, including staff management, enabling you to adapt to an ever changing business environment and support the many challenges public sector organisations face.
Overview of the Role:
The Council is looking to recruit to a number of Senior Accountancy Officers, to help continue to support this transformation journey. These posts will act as key finance and business links with their service managers and directors, providing support and advice through a proactive business partnering arrangement. The Council is looking for enthusiastic and pragmatic individuals, with can do attitudes, experience of financial stewardship and ability to calculate and articulate complex financial information, which are all key strengths that you will need to undertake the role.
There are opportunities across the finance service, with posts supporting the Council's key directorates: Adult Social Care, Children's Services and Education, Economy and Environment and Resources and Transformation.
- Provide value added financial advice and support to all customers of the service
- Support an integrated approach by working across the service as required
- Deal effectively and proactively with customer comments, enquiries and complaints
- Support senior managers in the implementation of corporate initiatives
- Provide comprehensive reports and briefings and active participation in meetings as a representative of finance
- Ensure proper financial controls and governance arrangements are in place for all aspects of service delivery
- Actively contribute and participate fully in the efficient and effective deliver of all finance activities such as: Final accounts and external audit liaison; Budget setting; Resource allocation;
- Ensure compliance with guidelines protocols and legislation
- Identify and report upon any financial risks resulting from changes in political, operational, technological or environmental factors
- Provide support to all internal and external audits ensuring compliance with all recommendations
As a Senior Accountancy Officer you should ideally hold (and be undertaking CPD) or be actively studying a CCAB / CIMA qualification, however in recognition of the knowledge that experience in other sectors can bring, whist an understanding of local government finance would be an advantage we would stress that it is not essential.
You will be able:
- To demonstrate high technical ability to ensure accounting standards and codes of practice are understood
- Demonstrate ability to develop business cases and financial summaries using appropriate tools and techniques
- Demonstrate proven analytical ability in interpretation of information
- Use strong numerical reasoning skills
- Show experience of using Microsoft Office and financial systems
- Demonstrate ability to effectively communicate complex information to all levels of the organisation
- Demonstrate ability to drive through change and take on and complete new challenges
- Demonstrate ability to implement and adhere to corporate policies, such as Equal Opportunities, and a wider understanding of workplace issues, such as Health & Safety
- Demonstrate ability to organise staff, resources or processes
- To show a flexible approach to meeting the needs of a changing service
- Demonstrate ability to take ownership and ensure goals are successfully achieved within tight deadlines
The Company provides an attractive employment package that includes a generous annual leave entitlement of up to 32 days, a flexible working scheme that allows up to a further 12 days leave per year, and a career average pension scheme.
Please click on the APPLY button to be directed to the careers page.
Candidates with experience of CCAB, CIMA, Purchase Ledger, Accounts Clerk, Finance Officer, Accounts Officer, Finance Clerk, Accounts Payable, Accounts Analyst, Accounts Receivable, Credit Control, Bookkeeper, Finance Analyst, Accountant, AAT Qualified Accountant, Book Keeper, Financial Accountant, Accounting Specialist, Financial Reporting, Finance Manager, Senior Accounts Administrator may also be considered for this role.