Zoological Society of London, Assistant International Accountant
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL is seeking an Assistant International Accountant who will work closely with our two International Finance Business Partners to monitor and support ZSL financial management controls, policies and procedures internationally.
Reporting to the International Finance Business Partner Manager you will be responsible for assisting colleagues (including those within the Conservation and Policy Programmes "C&P" Operations team) in the preparation of budgets and monthly management accounts including International activities. You will ensure all income and expenditure is recorded correctly in the accounts and in line with the approved budgets for the international projects. Working closely with budget holders this role will give you some exposure to finance business partnering as well as hand on accounting skills and analysis work.
This is a great opportunity to join a growing charity, where you will have exposure and involvement with the re-engineering of finance processes internationally which will be a real CV enhancing experience. How you communicate finance to a non-finance audience will be vital, as is a desire and passion to learn and develop your skills. Experience of the charity sector is not essential but is highly welcomed and you must be genuinely excited by the prospect of joining a world leading conservation charity such as ZSL.
Main Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Supporting the International Accountants to ensure that the monthly transactional information is accurately reported in the accounting systems.
- Provide support and interface to the finance systems used by ZSL globally, including developing tools, templates and reports that enhance this.
- Providing management financial reporting and addressing queries from budget holders and project managers.
- Support CP Operations and Finance in preparing donor reporting.
- Support CP Operations and Finance in managing external grant related audits.
- Ensuring adherence to policies and procedures for operations overseas and that these are rolled out effectively to country programme offices and across our out of area programmes.
Ideally the successful candidate will possess:
- Proven experience in management accounts
- A part qualified accountancy qualification (i.e. ACCA, ACA, CIMA, CIPFA) or is actively working towards the qualification, or has the intention to start their finance studies should they be selected for this position.
- Previous experience using financial management systems (i.e. SUN, QuickBooks).
- Understanding of grant funded international work and relevant compliance requirements.
- The ability to interpret financial information.
- Sound organisational, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Prior experience developing relationships across departments at multiple levels in an international / multi-cultural organisation.
Please note: This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent position reporting to the International Finance Business Partner Manager and the post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park, London. Having a "can do attitude", solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) by clicking the "Apply" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 17th March 2019.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.