This is a true number two finance role in the Business. The individual will work for the FD and closely with the wider member of the executive team and will be the being the primary finance lead for the finance function.
My client are a listed and well recognised service provider on behalf of both the public and private sectors throughout the UK.
The variety of work within the organisation, competing priorities and business process improvement initiatives requires a flexible and 'can do' approach to the challenges that this presents and with this brings a great opportunity for the applicant to gain exposure to experience a breath of knowledge in accounting and reporting.
The Financial Controller will be responsible for the following:
- Preparation of timely and accurate monthly management accounts to tight deadlines.
- Ensure all UKI entities are compliant with US Corporate requirements - given the company is undergoing remediation this will be significant in the short term
- Be face of Accounting within the business and keep FD abreast of any emerging opportunities and issues
- Liaise across departments in order to ensure clear communication so that processes and deadlines are met and errors/adjustments in the accounts are reduced
- Responsibility for delivering on key accounting related projects including readiness for ERP implementation
Responsible for a team of 3, with other roles on a dotted line with regards to Balance Sheet reconciliations and controls.
- Full responsibility for month end close and consolidation for UK and Ireland entities. Delivering close, including continuous improvement to drive the team towards a close by the end of the year. Review and submission of US monthly, quarterly and annual reporting packages.
- Journal entry expected during month end close, on complex and sensitive areas.
- Full responsibility for and oversight of the group audit and the annual statutory accounts processes, managing all aspects of the audits, including planning audit timing, agreeing deadlines with the US, organising the team to the delivery of information, production of workpapers and final statutory accounts. Statutory accounts to be filed within tight deadlines from year end following new US rules.
- VAT and Corporation tax responsibilities including review and timely submission. Liaising with tax advisors proactively on potential issues affecting the business.
- Help with preparation of key Balance Sheet reconciliations and their review to US deadlines, including the support and training other staff when needed. Full responsibility for Balance Sheet deadlines and managing the online reconciliation system.
- Provision of accounting guidance and assistance on a wide variety of ad hoc queries, inclusive of complex and critical areas of accounting such as impairment testing, hedge accounting etc. Responsible for implementation of and adherence to US Accounting Policies.
- Full responsibility for SOX within Finance, including dealing with Internal Auditors testing, resolving findings, mentoring finance and non-finance team on how to resolve their issues and improve SOX controls.
- Analysis and maintenance of all US GAAP adjustments.
- Provision of accounting advice and financial due diligence on both corporate transactions and commercial deals, e.g. acquisitions, disposals, investments.
- Proactively implement and lead change across all areas of responsibility.
- Ultimate oversight of company secretarial duties, national statistics, VAT returns, etc. within the team, and timely filing of reports with the authorities.
- Involvement in ERP implementation decisions, particularly chart of accounts decisions, legal entity structure, accruals and journals.
- Advise on all accounting implications for proposed M&A activities within the business
- Oversee Company secretarial responsibilities
What you'll need to be successful:
- Qualified ACA preferably from Big 4 however not essential.
- Experience of working in multinational and preferably with a US ultimate parent
- Experience of managing and developing a team.
- Must be organised, efficient, keen to learn and enthusiastic, striving to improve processes and encourage positive change across the business.
- Looks for better ways of doing things, and proactively takes ownership to see things through, working independently from the FD to achieve and implement change
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present clearly and concisely to a small audience.
- Analytical thinking and attention to detail.
- Excellent time-management and organisational skills with ability to prioritise competing deadlines.
- Flexible and open to change, able to cope with a fast moving and rapidly changing business
- Drive and enthusiasm with the desire to develop within the organisation, as wells as developing and mentoring other team members.
- Detailed and methodical attitude towards problem resolution to ensure accurate reconciliations are performed.
- Ability to travel (ad-hoc) and work flexibly particularly at month, quarter and year end.
Experience of implementing and improving financial systems including broader ERP would be advantageous
As well as a competitive salary and benefits package this role will offer the opportunity to work in a fast-paced high calibre team with real career progression opportunities.