Senior business researcher & project manager
Do you have a strong interest in the UK’s top private and private-equity/VC-backed companies and entrepreneurs, a solid research background and have project and people management skills?
Fast Track, based in St Clements, Oxford, is looking for an experienced researcher to compile and manage the publication of one or more of our annual league tables, featuring the UK’s top private companies from a cross-section of industries, and published in The Sunday Times.
Joining our 15-strong research team, working closely with our director of research, you will be a ‘hands-on’, practical researcher, helping to drive the continuous improvement of our detailed, proprietary, private company research.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in, and ability to, conduct relatively simple analysis of the financial performance of private companies at the micro level. The opening is due to a senior researcher leaving us after six years.
You will be attracted to working in Oxford for a small, entrepreneurial company with a successful 21-year track record, and be a graduate with at least three years’ relevant experience, likely gained from working in:
• private equity or corporate finance
• business consultancy or accountancy
• financial/business journalism and PR
• equity research
• Research and analysis: identify and research private and private equity/VC-owned companies and analyse their financial performance and shareholdings; conduct telephone and face-to-face interviews with their founders and directors; provide our sponsors with tailored briefings on our research, including to help with awards judging
• Project management: lead, manage and help conduct the research and publication of one or more of our annual league tables published with The Sunday Times featuring the UK’s top-performing private companies, ranging from the fastest-growing, such as BrewDog and FarFetch, to the biggest, such as Dyson and JCB
• Networking dinners: work closely with our events team (7 people) to help engage founders and directors of league table companies as part of our alumni network during the research process, which will help secure their attendance at some of our 26 annual invitation-only networking dinners; and attend up to 10 dinners a year
• Account handling: help service our blue-chip sponsors, which range from HSBC and PwC (15+ yrs) to DHL Express and Virgin Media Business (2+ yrs); and help prepare for, attend and follow-up on sponsor meetings
• Graduate with at least three years’ relevant company research and project management experience
• Working knowledge of, and interest in, analysing private-company financial performance (ie sales or profit growth) in multiple sectors at the micro level
• Service-oriented, with excellent inter-personal and people management skills
• Experience of using financial data sources as research tools, such as Companies House & BvD’s Fame; and competent at Excel and Access
• Able to write and edit with meticulous attention to detail, and to tight deadlines
• A strong interest in, and some knowledge of, entrepreneurs and private companies
• Some knowledge of financial accounts is essential, and an accountancy qualification would be an advantage
If you demonstrate sufficient expertise there is the opportunity to take on additional responsibility for servicing our blue-chip clients or to become the senior researcher for bespoke research requested by our sponsors.
Who we are
• Fast Track is the UK’s leading research and networking events company focused on top-performing private companies and entrepreneurs, from the fastest-growing tech companies to the largest private companies, which we rank in our annual league tables published in The Sunday Times
• It was founded in 1997 by our chief executive Hamish Stevenson with cornerstone, and ongoing, sponsorship from Richard Branson and Virgin
• Our sole source of revenue is from our blue-chip sponsors, who use it to raise their profile amongst different types of private companies, and to meet and win new business from hard-to-reach entrepreneurs and directors at our company visits and networking events
• We employ 30 members of staff, and eight freelance researchers; six of our employees have worked with Fast Track for over ten years
What we do
• We research and publish seven annual private company league tables with The Sunday Times; and our 26 invitation-only events create valuable networking opportunities for their entrepreneurial directors and our sponsors
• We conduct 300+ annual research visits to companies shortlisted for our league tables, accompanied by partners from our sponsors, where we interview the founders, chief executives and finance directors
• Our sponsors include: Virgin (all 21 yrs); UBS Wealth Management, Lloyds & HSBC (15+ yrs); Barclays, BDO, Hiscox & Grant Thornton (9+ yrs); and BGF, BMW & Linklaters (4+ yrs)
• Attendees and speakers at our events range from founders of our alumni growth companies such as Fever-Tree, Matchesfashion.com and Skyscanner, to the founders and CEOs of our alumni from the largest private companies such as Ineos, John Lewis, and Pret A Manger
• Our flagship conference and awards dinner has been hosted by Richard Branson for all 21 years
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a one-page application letter, stating why you would excel in this role, your current salary and notice period, and where you saw the vacancy; and a copy of your CV.
First round interviews will be held between 5pm and 7.30pm on Tuesday 15 May.
For further info, contact Eva Gronbech on 01865 297 100.
More searches like this
- Accountant Private / Wealth Management Qualified by Experience jobs in Oxfordshire
- Business Analyst Private / Wealth Management Qualified by Experience jobs in Oxfordshire
- Corporate Finance Private / Wealth Management Qualified by Experience jobs in Oxfordshire
- Financial Analyst Private / Wealth Management Qualified by Experience jobs in Oxfordshire