TaxAssist Accountants have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Accounts Assistant to join our team. This will be a varied and challenging role, combining preparation of accounts and tax returns for sole traders, individuals and limited companies, preparation of VAT returns, and delivering excellent customer service to our 1000+ clients. Over time, you will be involved in reviewing accounts and tax returns, and assisting with training and development of other team members.
TaxAssist Accountants are the largest network of accountants who focus specifically on small businesses and individual taxpayers. We specialise in providing accountancy services, tax returns, payroll, bookkeeping, tax savings and tax advice to small businesses. The TaxAssist network have over 65,000 clients in the UK including Sole Traders, Partnerships, Limited Companies and Personal Tax Payers.
Our award-winning practice is now in its 13th year of business, supporting small businesses and individuals from four shop locations across the Lothians (Dalkeith, Easter Road, Fairmilehead and Musselburgh).
Joining TaxAssist means you can:
• Be part of a recognised large accountancy network while benefiting from being in a friendly, local business atmosphere
• Experience the rewarding and varied nature of working with local small businesses. You will be helping a wide range of small business owners with their finances, no two days will be the same
• Receive support from an accountancy network and Support Centre for technical and business development support
• Benefit from access to training, CPD, guidance, tools and videos to expand your soft skills and technical knowledge
• Work for an employer that is focused on long-term staff retention. Career development opportunities are available to the right candidates
• Join a team that is quick to adapt, are advocates of cloud bookkeeping and other time-saving products - we take innovation seriously and are involved in piloting and testing new products for the wider TaxAssist network.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, hard-working individual to join our practice and help us grow. If you think you could be the right fit for our business we’d love to hear from you.
The role will be based across our four offices in the Edinburgh and Lothians; Dalkeith, Easter Road, Fairmilehead and Musselburgh. The working hours will be 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday. Initial training will be carried out at the Dalkeith branch before you are expected to work independently from the other locations.
You will be client facing and have a portfolio of clients that you are responsible for from a customer service and technical enquiry perspective. You will get to meet potential clients to hear more about their business and requirements and to explain to them how we can assist with these. The role also includes the following duties and therefore you will ideally have technical experience in:
- Preparation of Self Assessment Tax Returns and accounts for sole traders and partnerships.
- Preparation of Company management accounts, year-end accounts and Corporation Tax Returns.
- Preparation of VAT returns.
Full training will be provided on all processes, software and systems used in the practice. Currently the main software used is CCH. Our firm is a platinum partner of QuickBooks and you will receive training to their Certified ProAdvisor Advanced Online level.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical knowledge and have experience working in an accountancy practice. Candidates from an industry background are welcome to apply for this position but must be able to adjust quickly and be used to working on your own initiative whilst following established processes. Your tax knowledge must be up to date and you will need good IT skills.
Ideally you will hold a qualification such as AAT and/or be working towards an accountancy qualification from a professional body (ACCA/ICAS/ICAEW), however if you hold an accountancy degree or are qualified by experience and feel you are right for this role then we would be happy to hear from you.
Most importantly, the successful candidate will also have:
- Good people skills and a confident and friendly personality to help build strong relationships with the team and with clients,
- The ability to take ownership of their work and see things through to completion, including working unsupervised and to deadlines,
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles, and
- Drive & ambition with a high focus towards customer service.
Please apply online or send your CV and covering letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org