Position: Finance Manager
Line Manager: Director of Finance
Hours: 10.00am – 6.00pm
Who We Are
The Architectural Association was founded in 1847, opening as a day school in 1901. We are governed by our members and are committed to public benefit attained by the learning, teaching, discussion and promotion of architecture.
With circa 700 students and 250 academic and administrative staff the AA School is recognised as a worldwide leader in architectural education, with graduates that include many of the world’s leading architects, scholars, critics and educators.
Our main site is in Central London, but a new facility has been recently added in Dorset.
The Finance Manager reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for the day to day management of the accounts team of 6. They will assist in providing a financial and management accounting service including timely and accurate annual statutory accounts, management information and budget reports for the Architectural Association (Inc), Architectural Association Publications Ltd and Architectural Association Foundation.
- Assist in the development of financial management systems, processes and controls to enhance the quality and range of financial information.
- Ensure compliance with law and regulations.
- Provide financial support and advice to budget managers.
- Assist in the preparation of short and long term financial plans and budgets, to meet strategic objectives.
- Manage finance staff, assisting in their development and training to meet the needs of the AA.
- Oversee payroll and pensions, ensuring payments are timely and accurate.
- Ensure compliance with VAT, PAYE and other taxes.
- Assist in the management of insurance.
- Reports to regulatory bodies including the Office for Students, the QAA & the OU.
- Financial reports to stakeholders of capital development projects.
- Ensure good working relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Other duties as directed by the Director of Finance, and stand in as delegate if needed.
Essential Experience and Skills
- At least 2 years’ financial work for an educational, charitable or membership organisation
- At least 1 year’s experience of managing a small team
- Strong communication, written and interpersonal skills
- In depth knowledge of two accounting systems
- Intermediate Excel & Word
- Overseeing or administering Payroll
Desirable Experience and Skills
- Partial VAT Returns
- Fundraising transactions
- Auto enrolment pensions
- Advanced Excel & Word
What We Offer
In addition to your salary you will receive generous holiday and a defined-contribution pension scheme.
How to Apply
Please apply by email mentioning the job title within the subject heading, a statement of interest including salary expectations and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 26 March 2018 at 5pm,
Interviews will be held in the week commencing 16th April 2018.
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The AA, inc. has an equal opportunities policy applicable to all job vacancies, and internal applicants are encouraged to apply.