The University of Warwick is one of the UK’s great success stories. In less than fifty years since being founded we’ve become one of the country’s best universities, consistently in the top 10 of UK league tables and rapidly climbing the international rankings of world class universities. With a reputation for entrepreneurial spirit and a group turnover in excess of £500m, the University offers exciting career opportunities for ambitious accountants.
The Finance Department is going through an exciting period of growth and is seeking to recruit ambitious qualified accountants into Finance Manager roles across the institution’s academic, commercial and central finance teams.
As a Finance Manager you will be responsible for providing accurate and timely management information to senior management, heads of academic and administrative departments and directors of commercial activities. You will support planning, decision making and financial control, and reporting to external stakeholders.
This involve aspects of the following:
- Providing financial advice and information to Chairs of Department and Activity Managers.
- Provide constructive criticism, advice and counsel on a variety of financial matters, including, for example, pricing policy, tendering/purchasing, invoicing and performance indicators.
- Support and encourage Activity Managers and Directors at all levels of the University to stimulate ideas and expand their areas (including top-level strategic planning).
- Undertake contract review and appraisal to ensure compliance with University procedures, best practice and commercial application. To negotiate contract wording with third parties thereby developing external relationships whilst preserving the best interests of the University.
- Prepare and interpret key performance indicators to maximise understanding/efficiency of the business or activity.
- To liaise with the University’s external solicitors on legal matters including the drafting of contracts for new ventures (such as Spin-Off Companies) or negotiations of contract wording with the other party to the contract.
- Support senior stakeholders through work on special projects and ad hoc assignments, for example the costing of new ventures of both a capital and revenue nature or developing business plans (including those for commercial Spin-Off Companies).
- Responsibility for the preparation of 5-year plans for Departments and Activities and to participate in the approval process of these plans by the relevant Committees.
- Responsibility for the preparation of all financial information for Commercial Activities. This work is in conjunction with Commercial Activity Managers and their staff and includes preparation of management accounts, correcting coding errors and investigating discrepancies as necessary.
- Responsibility for the preparation of the monthly management accounts which include a detailed Profit and Loss Account, Key Performance Indicators and Balance Sheet for the Commercial Activity, together with a commentary summarising the overall performance of the activity and highlighting areas of concern.
- Preparation of Group Accounting Returns for Commercial Activities for inclusion in reports to Commercial and Related Activities Group, Budget Steering Group, Finance and General Purposes Committee and Council.
- Preparation of the Board papers for the subsidiary companies.
- Responsibility for the preparation of five-year plans for the commercial activities, including completion of the Budget Steering Five Year Plan return, for consolidation in the University five-year plan. To prepare a Finance Office Commentary of the plan for review by the Financial Planning Sub- Committee. To participate in the approval process of the plans by the relevant Committees.
- Responsible for the preparation of the statutory accounts for subsidiary companies, including completion of the Group Accounting Returns, for consolidation in the University Statutory accounts.
- Disseminate best practice to Academic Departments with regard to financial management.
- Preparation of Group Accounting Returns for Departments for inclusion in reports to Academic Resourcing Committee, Budget Steering Group, Finance and General Purposes Committee and Council.
- Analysis of management accounts of Academic Departments and prepare a financial report explaining significant financial issues for each Department, for circulation to the Budget Steering Group.
- Preparation of detailed accounts for the independently funded activities within Academic Departments and then prepare a financial report (including Key Performance Indicators) explaining the performance of these activities and any significant financial, for circulation to the Academic Resourcing Committee.