Group Tax Manager
Group Tax Manager
Salary: from £60,000 per annum
Location: Harwell, Bristol, London, Manchester
Jisc is helping to ensure the UK remains at the forefront of innovation within UK education and research – by mobilising the very best people and technologies in the application of digital thinking, digital content and connectivity.
It’s our vision to enable the UK to become the most digitally-advanced education and research nation in the world. It’s a bold statement, but one that we’re determined to fulfil.
About the role
In this role, you will be responsible for developing the tax strategy for Jisc. You’ll provide leadership within the specialist area of tax; developing and implementing a strategy and operational plan to improve Jisc’s tax efficiency whilst working a complex partial exemption method operating the UKs largest VAT tax exemption group.
This will include:
- Monitoring and reporting on tax, identifying areas of improvement and concern and taking remedial actions where necessary.
- Keeping abreast of changing taxation laws and requirements to develop proposals for ensuring Jisc remains tax efficient and compliant.
- Leading the development and implementation of systems, processes and policies to so that Jisc remains tax compliant
- Completion of annual Research and Development tax claims and VAT returns.
- Working with an external partner, calculate and file annual Corporation Tax returns.
- Responding to HMRC queries.
- Providing specialist advice and guidance to finance business partners on taxation matters.
- Liaise with Jisc’s external auditors and tax advisors, reviewing outcomes to develop and implement improvements and remedial actions.
To be successful, you will need:
- A competent tax specialist with extensive knowledge of the UK tax system
- CTA, ACA or equivalent extensive experience.
- Significant experience of tax planning as manager or equivalent.
- A strategic thinker with ability to recognise and balance interdependencies to achieve long term goals.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with evidence of successfully applying creative solutions
- Exceptional communications skills with the ability to communicate complex tax issues in a simple and impactful way.
- Significant experience of delivering insightful and impactful analysis and advice to senior management
- Strong organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise own workload and that of others in a pressurised environment and to tight deadlines.
- The ability to anticipate and adapt to new situations and issues to exploit potential opportunities.
There is the option for flexible working in this role – including reduced hours (from 28 hours per week) and the ability to work from home for part of the week.
- 25 days annual leave, plus 3 extra days for our Christmas closure, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Our generous USS contributory pension scheme (8% employee and 18% employer contribution)
- Competitive maternity, adoption and paternity arrangements
- Death-in-service benefit of three times salary
- Several staff schemes including season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work, eye care, employee assistance
- Opportunity for performance-related pay progression
- IT discounts with selected suppliers
This role will be based in Bristol, Harwell, London or Manchester.
Jisc is a geographically-distributed organisation and travel across the UK with occasional overnight stays will be required.
How to apply
Apply today by sending your CV to email@example.com and we’ll come back to you with some further details.
Difference is good, and here at Jisc we want to celebrate it. So regardless of your background or personal characteristics, if you are great at what you do, we want to hear from you.
No agencies please.