Deputy Director of Finance
Due to a recent internal promotion, Robert Half Finance and Accounting are delighted to be recruiting for a Deputy Director of Finance to join the award-winning University of Birmingham at their main campus in Edgbaston, Birmingham.
The University of Birmingham is a dynamic world class centre of academic scholarship and research ranked globally with over 30,000 students and 7,000 staff. In addition, the University operates a conferencing business; a preschool nursery; sports and fitness centre and associated pitches; has subsidiaries running investment properties, a secondary school and China operations; and has a significant investment portfolio to deliver income to support its activities.
The University is undergoing a period of significant change as it seeks to deliver a vision for 2026 that reflects a multi-site operation that is providing transformative education and high quality research. Recent projects include the opening of a Dubai campus, building a hotel and conference facility and developing a life-sciences campus for the conversion of research into reality in association with businesses.
In support of the University's vision, the Finance Office is transforming with a new integrated financial and HR system being implemented in 2019; in addition many of the structures, activities, policies and procedures for financial activity need to be changed to ensure that they are delivering what is required of a 21st century finance function in a very diverse, large organisation.
The Deputy role is both strategic and operational, and acts as a key point for all financial accounting and reporting matters as well as supporting strategic development. The post holder will have overall management responsibility for the Accounting division of the Finance Team; supporting, developing and monitoring the delivery of the financial strategy.
- Leading the Accounting division to deliver an effective service to the University and ensuring changes are made as appropriate for improvement, simplification and development.
- Working with the Finance Director and her other direct reports to develop and implement the mission, values and services of the office.
- Within the Accounting function developing and ensuring the implementation of appropriate controls and review of all processes, reports, systems and organisational structures to enable staff to maintain effective business relationships across the University.
- Motivating the team to deliver an excellent service across all business areas, in a financial climate that is constantly evolving.
- Working with teams at a variety of levels - Boards, committees, peer groups out-with and across the University
- Ensuring the delivery of all elements of the Division through direct reports and engagement with the activities and the teams as required.
Financial Policy and Strategy
- Developing and ensuring the implementation of strategic and operational plans which are consistent with and build upon the University's Strategic Framework.
- Providing direct input and advice to ensure the University remains financially sustainable in the short, medium and longer term.
- Taking a lead role in the provision of financial planning support and direction to major University developments/ activities/new business.
- Ensuring there are effective and consistent business planning methodologies for assessing new activities
- Preparing the University's annual budget, five year financial forecasts and sensitivity analyses embracing income and expenditure projections, capital plans and cash flow forecasts.
- Responsibility for the preparation and use of TRAC as a costing/pricing tool and as a measure of financial sustainability at institutional and school level.
- Responsibility for ensuring there is an appropriate method for undertaking capital investment appraisals.
- Utilising the Accounting Development and Project team to support the change agenda
Financial Monitoring and Reporting
- Ensuring the financial monitoring of the University and its constituent parts is undertaken regularly, to agreed timetables and is presented in a format which can be adapted appropriately for a variety of audiences from Council members through to individual budget holders.
- Completion of the University and subsidiary companies annual financial statements and returns
- Regular liaison throughout the year with the University's external advisors
- Oversight of the University's taxation situation including global mobility, VAT and Corporate taxation and ensuring all relevant returns are submitted in accordance with timetables.
- Overseeing the financial management of capital projects, providing budgetary control and reporting to committees as well as long term financial planning to ensure sustainability.
- A qualified accountant with a recognized professional qualification and at least 5 years post-qualified experience
- Experience of working at a senior level in a large and complex organisation.
- The ability to analyse complex financial data, draw conclusions from it, use it to inform complex business judgments and to communicate the output to a diverse range of audiences.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate a large team of staff, empowering staff to deliver.
- Ability to anticipate, plan and promote change.
- Appreciation of and empathy with the HE sector and its strategic challenges and environment.
- The intellectual depth to command respect amongst academic colleagues and the personal qualities to work effectively in partnership with academic staff.
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply. By applying to this position, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the following terms: https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/privacy-statement