We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
We are currently recruiting for a permanent Asset Accountant to be based in Birmingham. We are looking for an experienced qualified or finalist Accountant in ICAEW, ACCA or CIPFA to provide accurate and timely month end reporting and key financial projects relating to both the Highways England Strategic Road Network (SRN) and Non-Network Fixed Assets (NNFA).
Day to day
- Obtain relevant asset data reports to derive the valuation and detail asset movements in month
- Raise monthly journals and maintain key asset reconciliations against the relevant general ledger accounts
- Produce robust monthly forecasts for network and non-network depreciation and write down costs by the relevant working day
- To liaise with both internal and external auditors ensuring all requests and queries are responded to a high quality and within specified deadlines
- Production of the Dartford-Thurrock Crossing Charging Scheme Account (DRC) annual accounts
- Prepare the lead schedule on a quarterly basis ensuring all movements in the quarter have been accounted for in a robust manner
- Prepare the notes to the accounts in accordance with accounting standards.
- Review existing processes and procedures and develop best practice as appropriate.
- Finalist / Fully qualified accountant ICAEW, ACCA or CIPFA
- Experience of preparing financial accounts under both the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and the central government reporting framework (FReM)
- Evidence of strong IT understanding of financial systems, experience of using Oracle is desirable
- Proficiency in a range of office software products to enable production / maintenance of a range of complex documents, spreadsheets and management reports
- Strong analytical skills and excellent attention to detail
- Evidence of effective communication skills to varying audiences
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/