Head of Finance
Spurgeons helps more than 37,000 children and young people and over 64,000 parents and carers. Through the delivery of support and intervention services and by speaking up on behalf of those who need us most, we give vulnerable and disadvantaged children and families the chance they need for a better present and more hope filled future.
You will find us working at the heart of communities – listening, learning and building trust to make a lasting difference. Our Christian faith remains an active and important motivation for the work we do. It forms the roots from which our people’s collective desire to help children and young people is linked to, regardless of their own beliefs.
An astute and highly resourceful accounting professional is needed to be our next Head of Finance. This is an important position within the management team where we are influencing exciting change and where you will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer. With overall responsibility for the provision of accurate and essential financial management, you will work across the entire accounting and operational finance function at our Head Office in Rushden. Managing a team of three, this is an excellent opportunity to work with a thriving charity and influence as well as develop your strong finance and accounting skills.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Production of financial reports, budgets, projections and analyses to meet needs of Trustees and stakeholders
• Overseeing implementation of monthly management accounts
• Overall responsibility for the quality of service offered by the central Finance Team
• Undertaking sound financial management, including full compliance with the charity’s statutory obligations
• Acting as an expert advisor and keeping abreast of changes for PAYE, accounting and legal matters
• Liaising with auditors and preparing Spurgeons’ annual statutory accounts
• Responsibility for contracts & bids as well as oversight of our property and investment portfolios.
This is clearly a wide-ranging role, so important attributes include:
• Educated to degree level and a qualified Accountant (preferably ACA or CIMA)
• Evidence of ongoing professional development with relevance to the discipline
• Strong leadership and people management experience, particularly through times of change
• Experience of online accounting systems and ongoing maintenance and development needs
• Comprehensive knowledge and experience of preparing charity and financial returns to funders
• Charity/voluntary experience is ideal and experience of working in a commercial environment is beneficial.
While there is not an Occupational Requirement for the successful candidate to be a committed Christian, we welcome candidates who have an understanding of our Christian ethos and the role this plays in underpinning our work.
For full details about this position, please visit our website where you can view the Job Description and Person Specification and apply online.
We are an equal opportunities employer