Junior Underwriter / Mortgage Underwriter - Financial Services
Job Title: Junior Underwriter
Location: Maidenhead, Berkshire
Salary: £25,000 - £28,000
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
This is an entry level Underwriter role with the expectation to be able to underwriting mortgage applications in accordance with the Lending policy, TCF principles and FCA responsible lending best practice by the end of the training programme. You will be expected to maintain a high level of relevant industry knowledge and apply the highest standards of risk based underwriting at all times. You will be expected to manage daily workloads & pipeline in line with service standards and communicate requirements and lending decisions to Mortgage Intermediaries.
- Underwrite and approve Residential and Buy to Let mortgage applications in accordance with the lending policy, TCF and responsible lending principles, and within authorised mandate
- Recommend any cases outside mandate to the UTL /UTM and ensure all cases hold a robust documented rationale for the lending decision
- To be responsible for all underwriting queries, resolution of issues and issuing of Offers within your pipeline
- Able to successfully manage daily workloads & pipeline & adhere to service standards, demonstrating a pro-active approach
- Act in a professional manner in all dealings with intermediaries, solicitors and valuers, being able to articulate clearly requirements and manage challenges effectively
- Build a close working relationship with key areas of the business to enhance the process from a system, service and quality perspective
- To work closely with the New Business Assistants to enhance their knowledge and ensure a seamless process
- To comply with the Code of Business Ethics and ensure your responsibilities regarding the Prevention of Financial Crime (including money laundering, identification and reporting of fraud) are carried out effectively and in accordance with the Company's internal policies
- Proactively keep up to date with Lending policy, external legislation, funding constraints and product criteria changes to ensure prudent underwriting
- Ensure that all complaints are handled in line with the Complaints Handling Procedures Identify improvements to performance and the process, working with managers and other areas of the business.
- Undertake adhoc project work as required & evidencing a flexibility attitude to assist business requirements.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills
- Some understanding/ experience of the Underwriting process or working in a Financial Services Environment.
- Strong, tactful communication skills to influence and persuade at all levels.
- A strong commitment to excellent customer service
- Strong analytical and decision making skills in line with Lending Policy
- Delivering exceptional professional levels of service to all parties involved in mortgage origination process
- To act with integrity at all times and embrace the philosophy of treating our customers fairly
- Understanding of organised fraud and measures/systems in place to avoid it
- Able to demonstrate that they are proactive, hardworking, flexible and able to work under own initiative but also a team player
- Successfully completed university degree, preferably in a finance, business studies or equivalent field
Other skills or qualifications that would be helpful
- CeMAP qualified (desirable) or happy to study towards qualification
To apply for this role please select the APPLY button to send your CV and covering letter.
Candidates with the experience of; Underwriter, Independent Finance Adviser, Underwriting Consultant, Mortgage Underwriter, Financial Advisor, IFA, Insurance Underwriter, Independent Financial Adviser, IFA Adviser, Planning Adviser, Financial Consultant will be considered for this role.