Head of Finance, Strategy and Corporate Services
Head of Finance
£50000 - £54000 per annum
England, North Yorkshire, York
Robert Half Finance and Accounting are exclusively engaged with York Museums Trust (YMT) to recruit for a Head of Finance, Strategy and Corporate Services. This is a very exciting time to join the Not For Profit and Charities Trust on the back of their multi award winning redevelopment of York Art Gallery and as they plan a major capital project at York Castle Museum to transform its visitor experience.
York Museums Trust is an independent charitable trust, which was created in August 2002 by the City of York Council to manage York Art Gallery, York Castle Museum, Yorkshire Museum, Museum Gardens, York St Mary's and our extensive designated museum and gallery collections.
Vision: for York Museums Trust to play a major part in positioning York as a world class cultural centre.
Mission: to cherish the collections, buildings and gardens entrusted to us presenting and interpreting them as a stimulus for learning, a provocation to curiosity and a source of inspiration and enjoyment to all.
The Head of Finance role reporting to the CEO will lead the development and implementation of the Trust's financial strategies across the Trust and its Enterprises, hold responsibility for the effective financial and operational planning and processes across YMT and ensure compliance with regulatory, governance and procurement legislation and best practice.
The core responsibilities of the Head of Finance Role are:
- Responsible for the development and delivery of the Trust's financial strategy and related long-term and annual planning.
- Responsibility for the effective daily management of the organisation with regard to planning, project delivery, Finance, IT and Digital functions across the Trust.
- Responsibility for procurement and compliance with legislation.
- Providing guidance and ensuring operational support for HR systems and processes.
- Responsible for meeting governance requirements and best practice for York Museums & Gallery Trust and for York Museums Enterprises Ltd.
- Line management of Head of Museum Development Yorkshire supporting delivery by MDY and including regional advocacy and liaison with external contacts.
In order to be considered for this role applicants will be expected to have experience in the below.
- Commercially astute, articulate, technically strong, dynamic, insightful and influential leader with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels
- Accountancy qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Strategic thinker, with experience of converting strategy into detailed operational plans
- Substantial senior management experience
- Significant experience within financial management and understanding of management and financial accounting principles and techniques
- Demonstrable experience leading business planning for medium sized organisations
- Ability to take overall control of the Trust's Finance, capital investment and IT and Digital functions and ensure that all systems and processes are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth, and that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met
- An appreciation and understanding of the key HR challenges faced by a cultural organisation in the charity sector, as well as best practice.
- Ability to effectively allocate budgets according to the Trust's strategic priorities
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure, to prioritise and make critical decisions
- Experience of managing and developing staff with a strong understanding of performance management principles
- Ability to involve others in the decision-making process and promote a culture in which all staff work as a team in order to achieve the Trust's strategic objectives
- Understanding of a wide range of policy agendas including DCMS, local government, charity commission, tourism and economy and their relevance to YMT
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain complex information in an accessible way (in writing and orally)
- Proven experience managing stakeholder relationships at a regional and national level including funders and community/ business partners
- Ability to manage contractual relationships effectively
- Project management experience, including managing procurement, monitoring, cost and processes on capital projects
- Commitment to equality and diversity and an understanding of how this commitment applies to this role
- Strong IT skills including complex spreadsheets, financial systems and databases
- Experience in the field of not-for-profit management
- Project management qualification
- Experience managing consultants, including coaches or mentors
Salary and Benefits
- £50,712 - 54,150
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous holiday allowance
For more information including a Job Specification please get in touch with Luke Crowther at or please call for a discussion on 0113 242 8978
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply.