TaxCorporate TaxGovernment information exchange agreements will have little effect, say readers

Government information exchange agreements will have little effect, say readers

Accountancy Age's readers have little faith in the effectiveness of the government's tax information deals with overseas territories

THE GOVERNMENT’S various agreements with perceived tax havens will not have any real impact on evasion and avoidance, according to Accountancy Age readers.

Of the 52 readers polled, 62% felt the measures would fail to have any discernable effect on the aggressive tax arrangements of wealthy individuals and corporations, while the remaining 38% felt the moves would impinge on such activities.

The government has struck a string of automatic information exchange deals with a string of overseas territories and crown dependencies including the Cayman Islands, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey.

On the current timetable, UK residents with assets concealed in the territories will have until September 2016 to disclose details to the taxman and pay any tax owed to the HMRC, as well as a fine between 10% and 20%. While in most cases, the deal will see evaders escape prosecution, HMRC offers no guarantees.

Related Articles

Markets expected to respond positively to US policy changes

Corporate Tax Markets expected to respond positively to US policy changes

5m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
UK has ‘vital role to play’ in beating tax evasion, declares Panama Papers whistleblower

Corporate Tax UK has ‘vital role to play’ in beating tax evasion, declares Panama Papers whistleblower

1y Fraser Simpson, Reporter
An 'incomprehensible and contradictory' Budget

Accounting Firms An 'incomprehensible and contradictory' Budget

2y Richard Crump, Writer
Knight's suitability as OTS chief questioned by MPs

Corporate Tax Knight's suitability as OTS chief questioned by MPs

2y Fraser Simpson, Reporter
Macpherson to leave Treasury after 10 years in Permanent Secretary role

Corporate Tax Macpherson to leave Treasury after 10 years in Permanent Secretary role

2y Chris Warmoll, Writer
MPs launch inquiry into UK corporate tax system

Corporate Tax MPs launch inquiry into UK corporate tax system

2y Fraser Simpson, Reporter
Treasury Select Committee to lead review of UK tax system

Corporate Tax Treasury Select Committee to lead review of UK tax system

2y Calum Fuller, Reporter
Parliament to debate digital tax accounts this month

Administration Parliament to debate digital tax accounts this month

2y Calum Fuller, Reporter