RegulationCorporate GovernanceAnnual reports obfuscate performance, say readers

Annual reports obfuscate performance, say readers

In a poll, Accountancy Age readers agree companies' annual reports obfuscate performance by including too many disclosures

COMPANIES’ ANNUAL REPORTS impede understanding of their performance as they include too many disclosures for different parties, according to Accountancy Age readers.

Of the 60 votes cast, 88% said they need stripping back and get returning to their original purpose, with the remaining 12% feeling the information has to be relevant to a number of different stakeholders.

Speaking at an ICAEW debate on audit quality earlier in November, Robert Talbut, chief investment officer at Royal London Asset Management, criticised the lack of information in annual reports that has resulted from a lack of clarity around which set of users annual reports are aimed at.

Talbut, who also chairs the Association of British Insurers’ investment committee, suggested that the front end of accounts were viewed as “marketing documents” and preparers of accounts had become too focused on compliance.

Related Articles

Solvency and liquidity queries tackled in FRC going concern guidance

Accounting Standards Solvency and liquidity queries tackled in FRC going concern guidance

2y Calum Fuller, Reporter
Leader: Law firms should heed accountancy's listing mistakes

Accounting Firms Leader: Law firms should heed accountancy's listing mistakes

2y Kevin Reed, Writer
Watchdog issues review of audit governance code

Audit Watchdog issues review of audit governance code

2y Chris Warmoll, Writer
FRC publishes final guidance on going concern

Business Regulation FRC publishes final guidance on going concern

3y Richard Crump, Writer
EY issues emphasis of matter note on Co-op Bank

Audit EY issues emphasis of matter note on Co-op Bank

3y Kevin Reed, Writer
'Flabbergasted' IFA receives £10m commission in error

Company News 'Flabbergasted' IFA receives £10m commission in error

2y Carmen Reichmann
Colin: If you look after the pennies, Tesco...

Corporate Finance Colin: If you look after the pennies, Tesco...

3y Taking Stock
Tesco suspends execs and call in Deloitte over profits overstatement

Accounting Standards Tesco suspends execs and call in Deloitte over profits overstatement

3y Chris Warmoll, Writer