BusinessPeople In BusinessDeloitte’s Hartnett appointment “inappropriate”, say readers

Deloitte’s Hartnett appointment “inappropriate”, say readers

It was not appropriate for Dave Hartnett to join Deloitte given his background with HMRC, say Accountancy Age readers in a poll

Deloitte’s Hartnett appointment “inappropriate”, say readers

THE APPOINTMENT by Deloitte of former HM Revenue & Customs tax secretary Dave Hartnett has been branded “inappropriate” by Accountancy Age readers.

Of the 70 polled, 72% felt that given Hartnett’s track record with HMRC, it was not wise for him to join Deloitte, while the remaining 28% noted his role will not see him undertake work related to UK tax.

Hartnett will work in a consultancy capacity one day a week at the Big Four firm, helping developing nations improve their tax regimes.

Hartnett has been heavily criticised over so-called ‘sweetheart’ deals struck with multinationals, including investment bank Goldman Sachs, in which he agreed in 2010 to waive interest penalties of up to £20m on offshore bonuses paid to bank staff in order to settle a lengthy tax dispute.

Last month, the High Court dismissed a legal challenge to the deal brought by anti-austerity activists UK Uncut, ruling that the settlement was “reasonable” and lawful.

David Cameron reportedly approved the appointment, provided Hartnett is “not involved in any work considering how UK taxation can be mitigated or avoided”.

A spokesperson for Deloitte said at the time: “Dave Hartnett will work as a consultant to Deloitte advising foreign governments and tax administrations, primarily in the developing world. He has significant experience in advising such countries on the development of effective tax regimes necessary to ensure their continued economic growth. He will not work with UK companies or with HMRC.”

Related Articles

HMRC appoints new director generals

HMRC HMRC appoints new director generals

3m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Ex-HMRC chief to join ICAS council

HMRC Ex-HMRC chief to join ICAS council

6m Emma Smith, Managing Editor
KPMG UK breaks £2bn barrier, while partner pay falls

Accounting Firms KPMG UK breaks £2bn barrier, while partner pay falls

10m Stephanie Wix, Writer
Directors of management accounting business disqualified

People Business Directors of management accounting business disqualified

1y Richard Crump, Writer
Father and son directors disqualified by Insolvency Service

People Business Father and son directors disqualified by Insolvency Service

1y Richard Crump, Writer
Deloitte ramps up crisis management skillset with Regester Larkin acquisition

Accounting Firms Deloitte ramps up crisis management skillset with Regester Larkin acquisition

10m Stephanie Wix, Writer
Deloitte: Gender pay gap to exist until 2069

People Business Deloitte: Gender pay gap to exist until 2069

1y Richard Crump, Writer
Deloitte’s David Sproul joins CEO for a Day scheme

People Business Deloitte’s David Sproul joins CEO for a Day scheme

1y Stephanie Wix, Writer