TaxPersonal TaxLowering higher-rate tax band to 45p will increase yield, say readers

Lowering higher-rate tax band to 45p will increase yield, say readers

The drop in the higher-rate tax band to 45p will increase revenues, an Accountancy Age poll finds

Lowering higher-rate tax band to 45p will increase yield, say readers

LOWERING the higher-rate tax band to 45p will increase the yield, according to Accountancy Age readers.

The notion the people are more willing to pay up if their effective rate is below 50% took 57% of the 106 votes cast. The remaining 43% agreed lowering the rate will only mean more money in the pockets of higher-rate taxpayers.

The start of the new tax year on April 6 saw the higher rate make the drop from 50p to 45p, along with a rise the personal allowance to £9,440 with the promise it will rise further to £10,000 next year.

In his March Budget, chancellor George Osborne also reduced corporation tax by a percentage point to 20%, claiming such moves were made to reward those who “want to work hard and get on”.

Take part in the latest Accountancy Age poll:

Did Thatcher’s economic reforms leave a positive legacy for UK businesses?

Related Articles

Colin: Disappearing into Osborne's black hole

Personal Tax Colin: Disappearing into Osborne's black hole

1y Taking Stock
Osborne and Darling warn of £15bn post-Brexit tax hike

Personal Tax Osborne and Darling warn of £15bn post-Brexit tax hike

1y Richard Crump, Writer
UK has ‘vital role to play’ in beating tax evasion, declares Panama Papers whistleblower

Corporate Tax UK has ‘vital role to play’ in beating tax evasion, declares Panama Papers whistleblower

1y Fraser Simpson, Reporter
Colin: Osborne's raw deal

Corporate Tax Colin: Osborne's raw deal

2y Taking Stock
Autumn Statement: Moore Stephens’ welcomes review of business investment reliefs

Personal Tax Autumn Statement: Moore Stephens’ welcomes review of business investment reliefs

2y Richard Crump, Writer
Cameron to announce new corporate offence for tax evasion

Administration Cameron to announce new corporate offence for tax evasion

2y Fraser Simpson, Reporter
Budget 2016: Personal tax roundup

Personal Tax Budget 2016: Personal tax roundup

2y Calum Fuller, Reporter
Banks’ £135m tax avoidance scheme shutdown by authorities

Corporate Tax Banks’ £135m tax avoidance scheme shutdown by authorities

2y Fraser Simpson, Reporter