PracticeConsultingFRS17 still low on company agendas

FRS17 still low on company agendas

Less than 1% of 700 FTSE companies have adopted a pensions accounting standard that is set to radically alter the face of company results, according to new research.

Company Reporting, a monthly journal that monitors financial reporting practices in the UK, this month reported its findings following a recent FTSE survey by PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Under FRS17, due to take effect from 2003, companies will have to show pension fund gains and losses as they occur. At present businesses can spread any gains and losses over time.

Renishaw, an electronics equipment manufacturer, with a turnover of Pounds 125m, is one of the few companies to have opted for early adoption of the standard. In its statement of total recognised gains and losses, Renishaw disclosed an actuarial loss of Pounds 1.7m.

A mere 9% of 40 FTSE-250 companies surveyed by PricewaterhouseCoopers last month have looked at the effects the rule will have on their results. The remaining 91% are unaware of the changes FRS17 will bring.

Links

UK plc unaware of new pensions rule

UK plc faces pensions chaos

Related Articles

5 tips for SMEs to protect cash flow

Accounting Software 5 tips for SMEs to protect cash flow

5m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Tyrie on Finance Bill 2017: ‘Making Tax Policy Better’

Consulting Tyrie on Finance Bill 2017: ‘Making Tax Policy Better’

11m Stephanie Wix, Writer
Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Richard Toone, CVR Global

Accounting Firms Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Richard Toone, CVR Global

12m Kevin Reed, Writer
Deloitte 'self-imposes exile' on government contracts to defuse PM row

Accounting Firms Deloitte 'self-imposes exile' on government contracts to defuse PM row

12m Kevin Reed, Writer
Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Julie Adams, Menzies

Accounting Firms Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Julie Adams, Menzies

12m Kevin Reed, Writer
Friday Afternoon Live: Deloitte's tech thing; PAC wants HMRC 'contingencies'; and Sports Direct

Business Regulation Friday Afternoon Live: Deloitte's tech thing; PAC wants HMRC 'contingencies'; and Sports Direct

1y Kevin Reed, Writer
Friday Afternoon Live: HMRC complaints rise; Deloitte scoops big audits; and corporate reporting woes

Audit Friday Afternoon Live: HMRC complaints rise; Deloitte scoops big audits; and corporate reporting woes

1y Kevin Reed, Writer
New head of equity capital markets for KPMG

Accounting Firms New head of equity capital markets for KPMG

1y Stephanie Wix, Writer