TaxPersonal TaxISAs face huge tax delay

ISAs face huge tax delay

Unit tasked with overseeing ISAs 'snowed under' with tax-credit claims.

The Inland Revenue unit charged with policing the government’s new ISA regime has a correspondence backlog of up to nine months, Accountancy Age has learned.

The Financial Intermediaries and Claims Office has yet to reply to correspondence dating back to last July, according to one accountant who contacted the unit to complain about an unanswered letter.

The unit – whose offices are in Bootle in Merseyside, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Worthing in Sussex – deals mainly with overseas residents and registered charities.

It also oversaw PEPs and TESSAs and has now been tasked with supervising the individual savings accounts that have replaced them.

Meir Rosenthal, of the Gateshead-based firm Rosenthal & Co, contacted the unit’s Bootle office last month to ask when he would receive a reply to a letter that he wrote in February on behalf of a client appealing against a late-payment penalty. He was told by a FICO official that the unit had yet to reply to correspondence dating back to last July.

A Revenue spokeswoman played down the problems in the unit, which is the department’s second largest processing centre for self-assessment. ‘They don’t believe they have a problem,’ she said, saying that FICO was meeting a national target of replying to 80% of its correspondence within 28 days. ‘On the rest of the 20% they don’t think they have any particular delays.’

Arthur Andersen corporate tax partner Bill Dodwell said that while the Revenue might legitimately be able to claim the unit was meeting its overall target, parts of the office were not.

‘FICO has been completely snowed under for claims for tax-credit refunds on dividends,’ he said. ‘That part of the office we know is definitely not meeting its target.’

Related Articles

LITRG urges government to consider tax changes in disability work plan

Administration LITRG urges government to consider tax changes in disability work plan

3d Lucy Skoulding, Reporter
HMRC appeal rejected in Tottenham Hotspur case

Administration HMRC appeal rejected in Tottenham Hotspur case

2w Emma Smith, Managing Editor
HMRC urged to clarify impact of income allowances on Self-Assessments

Personal Tax HMRC urged to clarify impact of income allowances on Self-Assessments

2m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
New trading allowance: simplicity, but not as we know it

Administration New trading allowance: simplicity, but not as we know it

2m Emma Rawson, ATT Technical Officer
Wealthy individuals could circumvent top tax rate rises

Personal Tax Wealthy individuals could circumvent top tax rate rises

4m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Italy grants first successful non-dom status application to former UK non-dom

Personal Tax Italy grants first successful non-dom status application to former UK non-dom

4m Emma Smith, Managing Editor
Industry reaction: Taylor Review does not go far enough in addressing tax issues

Legal Industry reaction: Taylor Review does not go far enough in addressing tax issues

5m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Does the Taylor Review sufficiently address the gig economy?

Corporate Tax Does the Taylor Review sufficiently address the gig economy?

5m Alia Shoaib, Reporter