BusinessCompany NewsDe Beers to provide AIDS drugs to SA workers

De Beers to provide AIDS drugs to SA workers

The world's biggest diamond-mining group, De Beers, will provide South African employees infected with HIV/AIDS with anti-retroviral drugs, following a similar move by minerals giant Anglo-American.

Link: South African auditors call for AIDS disclosure

De Beers decided to provide the drugs following its heavy criticism of the South African government’s handling of the pandemic, which is believed to have infected nearly five million people in the country, according to reports.

It also comes after the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants called on companies to include the cost of the disease in their financial reports, and is spearheading a campaign to make it a compulsory listings requirement on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.

It is estimated that 12% of De Beer’s 11,000 South African employees have HIV/AIDS. The company will pay 90% of the cost of the treatment, around £1,600, with employees expected to pay the remaining 10%.

Earlier this month Anglo American, which owns a 45% stake in De Beers, announced plans to provide its workforce with HIV/AIDS drugs free of charge.

Related Articles

M&S business rate liabilities based on £570m rateable value

Company News M&S business rate liabilities based on £570m rateable value

4m Emma Smith, Managing Editor
BDO replaces Deloitte as Mitie auditor

Audit BDO replaces Deloitte as Mitie auditor

8m Emma Smith, Managing Editor
CVR Global appoints partner in London office

Company News CVR Global appoints partner in London office

12m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
FTSE100 failing to provide adequate ethics information

Company News FTSE100 failing to provide adequate ethics information

1y Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Moore Stephens recruits new private client partner

Accounting Firms Moore Stephens recruits new private client partner

1y Emma Smith, Managing Editor
Magma Group announces merger, partner promotions

Accounting Firms Magma Group announces merger, partner promotions

1y Emma Smith, Managing Editor
BDO on ‘recruitment spree’ with multiple partner appointments

Accounting Firms BDO on ‘recruitment spree’ with multiple partner appointments

1y Emma Smith, Managing Editor
Brand strength leads to fee income growth for RSM

Accounting Firms Brand strength leads to fee income growth for RSM

1y Emma Smith, Managing Editor