PracticeConsultingE-procurement set to slash SME costs

E-procurement set to slash SME costs

E-procurement could slash as much as £24bn a year from overall costs to UK small to medium sized businesses, according to a survey commissioned by a new cross-industry online exchange.

The report carried out by research group London Economics for cross-industry internet portal GroupTrade claims to be the first piece of research to quantify the benefits of online electronic purchasing for SMEs.

The GroupTrade exchange, which is due to launch later this summer, will initially target operating costs which can account for between 30% and 60% of a company’s turnover and £32bn of expenditure a year.

Researchers focused on how e-procurement and group trading can reduce the level of indirect costs – such as office furniture, stationery and IT equipment.

GroupTrade estimates total average savings for the SME sector to be around £18bn and could rise to £24bn.

The study predicts that the GroupTrade.com purchasing model could save anaverage per year of:

£623,00 for companies between 200-249 employees

£388,100 for companies with 100-199 employees

£195,000 for operations with 50-99 employees

£51,000 for companies with 20-49 employees

‘Until now it’s been the large multinationals who have made the headlines on e-procurement,’ said GroupTrade chairman Adair Turner. ‘But SME’s account for nearly half the jobs and turnover of the UK and they too need to capitalise on the efficiencies created by the Internet.’Savings pinpointed by the report include around 30% on the cost of goods and services, which can be negotiated via an information exchange; and the remaining 70% from slashing the time and expense of searching, ordering and accounting for purchases.

Related Articles

5 tips for SMEs to protect cash flow

Accounting Software 5 tips for SMEs to protect cash flow

3m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Tyrie on Finance Bill 2017: ‘Making Tax Policy Better’

Consulting Tyrie on Finance Bill 2017: ‘Making Tax Policy Better’

9m Stephanie Wix, Writer
Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Richard Toone, CVR Global

Accounting Firms Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Richard Toone, CVR Global

10m Kevin Reed, Writer
Friday Afternoon Live: HMRC complaints rise; Deloitte scoops big audits; and corporate reporting woes

Audit Friday Afternoon Live: HMRC complaints rise; Deloitte scoops big audits; and corporate reporting woes

11m Kevin Reed, Writer
New head of equity capital markets for KPMG

Accounting Firms New head of equity capital markets for KPMG

11m Stephanie Wix, Writer
Deloitte 'self-imposes exile' on government contracts to defuse PM row

Accounting Firms Deloitte 'self-imposes exile' on government contracts to defuse PM row

10m Kevin Reed, Writer
Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Julie Adams, Menzies

Accounting Firms Managing partner Q&A - the year ahead: Julie Adams, Menzies

10m Kevin Reed, Writer
Friday Afternoon Live: Deloitte's tech thing; PAC wants HMRC 'contingencies'; and Sports Direct

Business Regulation Friday Afternoon Live: Deloitte's tech thing; PAC wants HMRC 'contingencies'; and Sports Direct

10m Kevin Reed, Writer