TaxPersonal TaxThe Big Question – Budget bad news for 66% of FDs.

The Big Question - Budget bad news for 66% of FDs.

The majority of financial directors think Chancellor Gordon Brown did nothing for business in his budget last week, according to a poll by Accountancy Age and Reed Accounting Personnel.

A massive 64% of FDs told The Big Question the chancellor’s NICs and tax increases will not help businesses. Of the 208 FDs surveyed only 36% thought last week’s Budget was good for business.

‘The only way I am going to pay for the increase in NI is by capping recruitment or, in the extreme, reduce headcount. I thought this was a Budget for jobs,’ said Rakesh Gulati, FD of vehicle rental company Churchfields.

‘Something should have been done to control the exchange rate because it will hurt the UK economy as a whole,’ said Francesca Harmes, financial controller at Arco Chemical Europe.

‘Increases in stamp duty were unwelcome. I’m also unhappy the payment on account regime still requires us to make forecasts of taxable profit,’ said Chris Denby, assistant general manager, British Arab Commercial Bank.

FDs of small businesses were some of the few who said they were happy with the Budget. ‘Brown has made a positive stand to promoting public transport’ said Jacqui Martin, FD of Provincial Bus Company.

Related Articles

LITRG urges government to consider tax changes in disability work plan

Administration LITRG urges government to consider tax changes in disability work plan

3d Lucy Skoulding, Reporter
HMRC appeal rejected in Tottenham Hotspur case

Administration HMRC appeal rejected in Tottenham Hotspur case

2w Emma Smith, Managing Editor
HMRC urged to clarify impact of income allowances on Self-Assessments

Personal Tax HMRC urged to clarify impact of income allowances on Self-Assessments

2m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
New trading allowance: simplicity, but not as we know it

Administration New trading allowance: simplicity, but not as we know it

2m Emma Rawson, ATT Technical Officer
Wealthy individuals could circumvent top tax rate rises

Personal Tax Wealthy individuals could circumvent top tax rate rises

4m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Italy grants first successful non-dom status application to former UK non-dom

Personal Tax Italy grants first successful non-dom status application to former UK non-dom

4m Emma Smith, Managing Editor
Industry reaction: Taylor Review does not go far enough in addressing tax issues

Legal Industry reaction: Taylor Review does not go far enough in addressing tax issues

5m Alia Shoaib, Reporter
Does the Taylor Review sufficiently address the gig economy?

Corporate Tax Does the Taylor Review sufficiently address the gig economy?

5m Alia Shoaib, Reporter