47% believe Budget was not a bribe for voters

47% believe Budget was not a bribe for voters

The Budget was a genuine attempt to aid the economy, according to a survey of finance directors. Almost half of the 200 FDs polled for The Big Question, a new service commissioned by Accountancy Age and Reed Accountancy Personnel, discounted claims by the Labour party that the Budget was used to bribe the electorate.

Several FDs described the Budget as unexciting and 23% said they considered the effects to be neutral. But 47% argued that Chancellor Ken Clarke had aided the economy against a 30% who thought he had at least one eye on the election.

‘I believe there’d have been bigger tax cuts if the Chancellor was trying to bribe the electorate,’ said Robert Gunn, European finance director of VMark Software. Chris Hunt, FD of Innovex UK, agreed, but said the 1p income tax cut was disappointing. ‘I would rather the revenue had been invested in infrastructure rather than given to the public.’

One FD who felt the Budget was used to bribe the electorate said: ‘It was more an attempt to convince the electorate of the Conservatives’ supposedly responsible attitude towards the economy – not a genuine attempt to aid the economy.’

Resources & Whitepapers

Why Professional Services Firms Should Ditch Folders and Embrace Metadata

Professional Services Why Professional Services Firms Should Ditch Folders and Embrace Metadata

2y

Why Professional Services Firms Should Ditch Folde...

In the past decade, the professional services industry has transformed significantly. Digital disruptions, increased competition, and changing market ...

View resource
2 Vital keys to Remaining Competitive for Professional Services Firms

2 Vital keys to Remaining Competitive for Professional Services Firms

2y

2 Vital keys to Remaining Competitive for Professi...

In recent months, professional services firms are facing more pressure than ever to deliver value to clients. Often, clients look at the firms own inf...

View resource
Turn Accounts Payable into a value-engine

Accounting Firms Turn Accounts Payable into a value-engine

2y

Turn Accounts Payable into a value-engine

In a world of instant results and automated workloads, the potential for AP to drive insights and transform results is enormous. But, if you’re still ...

View resource
Digital Links: A guide to MTD in 2021

Making Tax Digital Digital Links: A guide to MTD in 2021

2y

Digital Links: A guide to MTD in 2021

The first phase of Making Tax Digital (MTD) saw the requirement for the digital submission of the VAT Return using compliant software. That’s now behi...

View resource