Readers split over HMRC’s mooted increased powers

by Calum Fuller

More from this author

24 Apr 2014

  • Comments
HM Revenue and Customs

THE PROPOSED increased range of powers set to be afforded to HM Revenue & Customs has left Accountancy Age readers split over whether they can be justified.

Of the 108 readers polled, marginally more - 51% - felt the significantly broader set of powers that have been proposed since the new year were justified, with the remaining 49% troubled by the developments.

The taxman has been steadily building its arsenal since the new year. Avoidance schemes that bear similarities to others already blocked, will be forced to pay the disputed tax up front before the case is heard at tribunal, under plans due to come into force in November.

In the Budget, the chancellor then announced a consultation on proposals that would allow HMRC to directly access debtors' bank accounts to deduct tax due - provided £5,000 is left across the accounts.

This month, George Osborne followed that up by releasing a document, No Safe Havens, outlining plans to introduce a new criminal offence carrying a possible prison sentence for people holding undeclared money offshore, even if they did not intend to evade taxes.

And this week HMRC was criticised over suggestions it could sell "anonymised" taxpayer data to third parties including private companies, researchers and public bodies.

Former Conservative minister David Davis told the Guardian the plans were "borderline insane".

Visitor comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
display:none

Add your comment

We won't publish your address


By submitting a comment you agree to abide by our Terms & Conditions

Your comment will be moderated before publication

Submit
  • Send

Financial Planning and Performance AnalystCabinet Office-Greater London-Competitive

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Newsletters

Get the latest financial news sent directly to your inbox

  • Best Practice
  • Business
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Essentials

Careers

Search for jobs
Click to search our database of all the latest accountancy roles

Create a profile
Click to set up your profile and let the best recruiters find you

Jobs by email
Sign up to receive regular updates with the latest roles suitable for you

Briefings

budget-management

Why budgeting fails: One management system is not enough

If budgeting is to have any value at all, it needs a radical overhaul. In today's dynamic marketplace, budgeting can no longer serve as a company's only management system; it must integrate with and support dedicated strategy management systems, process improvement systems, and the like. In this paper, Professor Peter Horvath and Dr Ralf Sauter present what's wrong with the current approach to budgeting and how to fix it.

cchcover

iXBRL: Taking stock. Looking forward

In this white paper CCH provide checklists to help accountants and finance professionals both in practice and in business examine these issues and make plans. Also includes a case study of a large commercial organisation working through the first year of mandatory iXBRL filing.