UK accounting bodies ‘should merge’ according to readers

by Owen Davis

More from this author

27 Jun 2013

  • Comments
ICAEW flag

UK ACCOUNTING INSTITUTES should merge together, and should no longer remain separate, say Accountancy Age readers.

Of the 119 people polled, 65% felt such a move would be a positive step, with the remaining 35% believing the institutes should remain separate.

The poll was conducted against the background of a planned merger of accountancy bodies in New Zealand and Australia, and the increasing globalisation of the accounting profession.

Talks between the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (NZICA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia (ICAA) have sought to unite the two bodies. This will result in qualifications from either body being mutually recognised, and will also allow more exchange between the two countries. Members will be voting on the proposal later in the year.

Similar mergers have already taken place elsewhere, with Canada bringing together Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) and the Certified Management Accountants of Canada (CMA Canada) have merged on a national level to form the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada).

The move was finalised in the belief it would allow them to meet the evolving needs of accountants and the business community as a whole.

In 2004, ICEAW, CIMA and CIPFA, three of the UK's largest accountancy bodies began potential merger discussions, citing the increase in influence that a single larger body would hold when discussing accounting issues with governments, regulators, and standard setters. However the plan failed to come to fruition, as the three institutes were unable to find a common ground that members could agree on.

Visitor comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Add your comment

We won't publish your address

By submitting a comment you agree to abide by our Terms & Conditions

Your comment will be moderated before publication

  • Send

Charterhouse Accountants

Finance Officer

Charterhouse Accountants, Beaconsfield, Permanent, Full Time, £ Competitive




Get the latest financial news sent directly to your inbox

  • Best Practice
  • Business
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Essentials


Search for jobs
Click to search our database of all the latest accountancy roles

Create a profile
Click to set up your profile and let the best recruiters find you

Jobs by email
Sign up to receive regular updates with the latest roles suitable for you



Why budgeting fails: One management system is not enough

If budgeting is to have any value at all, it needs a radical overhaul. In today's dynamic marketplace, budgeting can no longer serve as a company's only management system; it must integrate with and support dedicated strategy management systems, process improvement systems, and the like. In this paper, Professor Peter Horvath and Dr Ralf Sauter present what's wrong with the current approach to budgeting and how to fix it.


iXBRL: Taking stock. Looking forward

In this white paper CCH provide checklists to help accountants and finance professionals both in practice and in business examine these issues and make plans. Also includes a case study of a large commercial organisation working through the first year of mandatory iXBRL filing.