Public Accounts Committee not furthering tax avoidance debate, say readers

by Calum Fuller

More from this author

08 Feb 2013

  • Comments
Margaret Hodge ourcreativetalent flickr photostream

THE PUBLIC ACCOUNTS COMMITTEE is doing little to advance the tax avoidance debate or get closer to any solution, according to Accountancy Age readers.

An overwhelming 86% of the 60 readers polled felt the committee's approach is too adversarial and fails to take into account evidence provided, while the remaining 14% feel the committee has done a good job.

The committee - chaired by Labour MP Margaret Hodge (pictured) - has spent a huge amount of time delving into issues around tax avoidance - methods used to drive down tax rates within the law - and how to prevent it. Most notably, representatives of multinational companies accused of avoidance Amazon, Google and Starbucks have appeared before the committee and been heavily criticised for their tax practices.

Last week, tax heads from the Big Four gave evidence and were accused of being too close to government and the legislative process.

Take part in the latest Accountancy Age poll:

Regulators are consulting on a broader scope for auditors, which could include more detailed risk analysis. Will an extended auditor report provide more value to stakeholders?

Visitor comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Add your comment

We won't publish your address

By submitting a comment you agree to abide by our Terms & Conditions

Your comment will be moderated before publication

  • Send


Financial Planner

The Ministry of Defence Surgeon General’s (SG) Finance Department, Lichfield, Staffordshire, Permanent, Full Time, £ £30,008




Get the latest financial news sent directly to your inbox

  • Best Practice
  • Business
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Essentials


Search for jobs
Click to search our database of all the latest accountancy roles

Create a profile
Click to set up your profile and let the best recruiters find you

Jobs by email
Sign up to receive regular updates with the latest roles suitable for you



Why budgeting fails: One management system is not enough

If budgeting is to have any value at all, it needs a radical overhaul. In today's dynamic marketplace, budgeting can no longer serve as a company's only management system; it must integrate with and support dedicated strategy management systems, process improvement systems, and the like. In this paper, Professor Peter Horvath and Dr Ralf Sauter present what's wrong with the current approach to budgeting and how to fix it.


iXBRL: Taking stock. Looking forward

In this white paper CCH provide checklists to help accountants and finance professionals both in practice and in business examine these issues and make plans. Also includes a case study of a large commercial organisation working through the first year of mandatory iXBRL filing.