Osborne wrong to shelve mansion tax, say readers

by Calum Fuller

More from this author

19 Oct 2012

  • Comments
George Osborne

THE CHANCELLOR was wrong to row back on plans to impose a ‘mansion tax' on expensive properties, according to our online audience.

Of the 123 polled, little more than a quarter – 28% – agreed with the move, amid concerns that asset-rich, cash-poor people could be caught by its introduction. The remaining 72% disagreed with abandoning the measure, noting its potential for tackling tax avoidance issues.

The ‘mansion tax' – originally proposed by Vince Cable – would have seen a rate of 1% or 2% of the property's value above a threshold of £1m to 2m, but both David Cameron and George Osborne ruled out its introduction.

In ruling out the tax at the Conservative party conference, Osborne said he was concerned the policy "will be sold to you as a mansion tax" before the election, and then afterwards, "a lot of the people in Britain are going to wake up and find their more modest homes have suddenly been reclassified as a mansion".

Vote in Accountancy Age's latest poll: 

Is late payment legislation working?

Visitor comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Add your comment

We won't publish your address

By submitting a comment you agree to abide by our Terms & Conditions

Your comment will be moderated before publication

  • Send

Charterhouse Accountants

Finance Officer

Charterhouse Accountants, Beaconsfield, Permanent, Full Time, £ Competitive




Get the latest financial news sent directly to your inbox

  • Best Practice
  • Business
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Essentials


Search for jobs
Click to search our database of all the latest accountancy roles

Create a profile
Click to set up your profile and let the best recruiters find you

Jobs by email
Sign up to receive regular updates with the latest roles suitable for you



Why budgeting fails: One management system is not enough

If budgeting is to have any value at all, it needs a radical overhaul. In today's dynamic marketplace, budgeting can no longer serve as a company's only management system; it must integrate with and support dedicated strategy management systems, process improvement systems, and the like. In this paper, Professor Peter Horvath and Dr Ralf Sauter present what's wrong with the current approach to budgeting and how to fix it.


iXBRL: Taking stock. Looking forward

In this white paper CCH provide checklists to help accountants and finance professionals both in practice and in business examine these issues and make plans. Also includes a case study of a large commercial organisation working through the first year of mandatory iXBRL filing.